Friday, October 09, 2020

Duck Egg a County Park

 


Our county has some wonderful parks that are more like State Natural Areas.

They arise out of dam systems in our steep valleys with streams that like to flood.
The photo above is from Lower Duck Egg. There is a parking area deep in the valley next to Springville Branch of the Bad Axe River. 

Think about that name, Bad Axe. I love the images it conjures.

Anyway, the Duck Egg Dam was finished in 1990 as a flood control project. The details of understanding the Bad Axe River watershed and how the water flows is pretty complicated unless you can study the topographic maps. I won't try to explain it.

Around the dam is 700+ acres of forest and valley with horseback and hiking trails. The terrain is very steep.

I parked at the Upper Duck Egg parking area which is a rough gravel road that has quite a few dipsy-doodles in it. Note. Don't bring a low slung car to the upper lot.


Charlie and I headed from the Prairie Trail to the lookout. The plan was to just hike down to the first junction and head back up another trail called the Stagecoach Line.

We got to the lookout which has been cleaned up since my last visit there in 2011 while riding with Rich on mules.


2011 view:


And this week's view:


Well, needless to say, Charlie and I took a right long before we were supposed to take a right on the Stagecoach Line. Poo. We ended up on an old logging trail and looped around back the prairie. 
I took some photos with the infrared camera which doesn't show off the multiple colors of the foliage.

But the images are pretty neat.



I decided to just walk around the top of the ridge and admire the trees while Charlie tried to make his mark on every clump of grass he could find. I decided to review the trail maps and go back on another day.

My goal is to hike into the valley, past the dam and back up the steep hill to the ridge. I recall that the trek back uphill in 2011 was pretty tough. I know we had to let the mules take a breather on the way up.

Sounds like a good workout, right?

Well I need to feed the old guy and head out. Apples and snacks are packed, the day is windy and warm...I'll pick something up for an early supper on the way back.


2 comments:

  1. Yes it sounds like a work out especially if the mules had to rest! Charlies job is to leave "news" everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:00 AM

    Love the blue sky in the infrared picture as well as the foliage wearing the fall colors. Fall is such a pretty time of year, enjoy your hike.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.