Monday, March 09, 2020

CrossFit shake up

So this is just a jumble of things.

CrossFit:

I've had positive things happen with my CrossFit experience.

One of the misconceptions about CrossFit, is that you have to be an Olympic Athlete to do it.
Or that you will end up be a muscle bound freak. Or you have to dedicate your whole life to it.
None of that is true. In the 'Box' we are tall, thin, chunky, older, and younger folks. Just normal people who are working out together and liking it.
We sweat together, cheer each other on, and applaud each other's achievements. No one is better than another.

There are a lot of arguments that say CrossFit is TOO expensive!

CrossFit will probably cost more than the YMCA or any other fitness gym. But there isn't 'a trained and certified coach' at these places to assist you in figuring out the best way to for you to work out.

The coaches have helped me figure out how to deal with my shoulders which have always been an issue. My wrists are wracked by Osteoarthritis along with my thumb joints.

In 2008 I had surgery on the tendons in my right elbow.

When I started working out, I really had my doubts. How could I ever do a real  push up? How could I ever do a handstand without screaming out in agony?
No way I'd ever jump up on the 'rig' and do any sort of movement that required use of my arms! Nope Nope Nope!

Lift weights or Kettle Bells? No way!

The coaches modified my workouts and movements so that I could do them and still get all of the benefits out of the workout.




That said. I have worked out with people that are in their late 60's, 70's, and a fellow who is in his 80's. I work out with those who have had replacement surgeries, who are recovering from major illnesses and even brain injuries.

I went to CrossFit at the urging of my oldest son. I started and decided to stick with it for a year at least. My goal was at least 3 times a week and more if I could swing it.
I did the math. If I went 5 days a week it was really affordable. Even at 3 days a week it was affordable.

Encouragement from those I work out with keep me going.

After a year passed, I purchased CrossFit shoes and my own jump rope.

Then some firsts started to happen. I did a handstand. I didn't stay in it, but I did it. Then I did it twice and three times.
I did one double under with the jump rope. I did it again.

Then Friday the unthinkable happened. The CrossFit members got a group email that said our Coach was no longer employed at the VMH Wellness Center and there would be no more CrossFit classes.

I was stunned, then angry, and then felt terribly lost. How could this happen? I started to consider my dismal options of the other two gyms in town neither which I wanted to go to. Coach Josh and the two part time coaches made our group what they were. Some of these folks had been with Josh since he started a fitness program over 10 yrs ago. I wanted to grab the phone and cancel my membership. But I didn't.

Something was up and if I waited, things might sort themselves out. Rumours said that the Coach would set up shop somewhere else in the future and like most of the CF folks I would gladly follow him. Except, what if he set up shop 30 miles away?

In the past year and a half, I've gained so much in personal and physical strength through being in a group of like minded people that love to suffer through workouts together and who always support each other. One member said we were like a cult. Maybe that is a strong word, but when members of the gym call each other up to show up at another member's house to help him move in to his new place? I call that something different. Support from another member is only a text or phone call away.

That is what this gym/box was all about.

CF asks a person to be dedicated. A good coach is not just a coach but a Life Coach. One who cares about every person he/she works with. That is why the email was so shocking.

Over the weekend people started sorting things out. Some members have partial home gyms and are inviting other members to work out with them. I'm meeting with the early morning crew and we are going to work out together without a coach. We may not do some of the weights, but we are working on keeping up our strength while we figure out how to follow our coach to a rumored new place.

If we remain without a coach or any coaches I will downgrade my membership so I can still visit our CF section with other members and work out together until we find out what is going on.

In the mean time The Coach has given those who don't want to go to the Wellness Center workouts that can be done without being inside a gym or box.
That is incredible. Workouts we can do at home!

Until I received that email on Friday I don't truly believe I understood exactly how much working out/socializing/sweating/laughing/helping/enjoying the work out with other people meant to me.

To be continued...
~~~~
I did have a great workout this morning. Not quite the same with the Coach walking around and nudging you and saying quietly to you: "You got this Val, you are doing great!"
But we did laugh, we did sweat, and we did workout.

What does the future bring?
Not sure yet.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it is a good group that will find some way to carry on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now groups are getting together at each other's homes or other places to work out together and rumor has it we'll have a bare bones place to do group work outs together soon.
      Really we all stick together, it is an amazing group of folks.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.