Saturday, December 08, 2018

Little Dog


This is the look I get when I am getting dressed to go do something and I tell Charlie he can't come.

I felt pretty sure that when I brought Charlie home that he wasn't going to be much of an outside dog.
Boy was I ever wrong.

He doesn't like the hot summer days as much as he likes the cold snowy days. And he keeps proving that over and over.

We took our afternoon walk on Wednesday to the creek and back. It was a quick walk just to get some fresh air. We hiked part of the way into the Peterson Valley and then I turned around.
I still had to finish up the fixin's for the roast and I had chores to do before dark.

Charlie charged up the ridge road ahead of me. He now knows where I am going and generally which path I chose to follow.
He also accompanies me in all sorts of weather to do chores.

Here is a photo I grabbed with my cell phone...


His chest and legs are snow and ice covered, yet he was not cold. He was searching for mice in tufts of grass and leaves. At times his head would be buried up to his eyes under the snow.

Here is a shot of his tummy...


Look how short those front legs are!
What a hoot!

He can run like the dickens though and is very fast for a dog so small.


I'm so happy to have a tiny hiking companion. Each day Charlie reminds me of why I like to have a pet in my life.
Those big brown liquid eyes that melt my heart, the eager little dog who wants to help chore, the funny little dog that sits and stares lovingly at my husband when he eats.
[He knows who drops food!]

Charlie likes to remind me that it is 'chore time'. He does this little whine thing until I get dressed and then we go out to do our chores. Even yesterday when it was zero degrees, he charged across the frozen snow and led me to each spot I needed to go.
When it was time to go in the pasture and feed the mules, he watched from the yard and porch. I got cold, but Charlie just seemed to take it all in as if IT were his duty to make sure I did all the chores properly...

Yes, I miss Morris every day. Yet Charlie is still easing that pain.

Now I am wondering how I can accommodate him if I were to go x country skiing on the ridge. Or...how can he come with when I snow shoe in the deep snow?

I guess I will find out this winter. [I may have to devise a way to carry him!]

Little Dog...
You make my
heart
Happy.

Thank you Charlie.

2 comments:

  1. How about a little sled for Charlie! he makes me smile! He is so darn cute:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may and see if I can use a box for skiing, or perhaps a sling to carry him?

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.