Saturday, December 01, 2018

You are my Sunshine

I was throwing hay over the fence when I noticed Sunshine hadn't come forward. She was hanging back. I continued feeding hay and kept an eye on her.
She was one of those mules that just barged in making sure that everyone around got out of her way when it was feeding time.
She isn't aggressive, she just pushes her sister or others with her neck and shoulder to move her or any other mule.
Sometimes Sunshine tries to push little ol' Fred around and Fred won't have it. He lays his ears back and squeals at her. She backs off.

She avoids 15 as she tends to bite and kick.

Sunshine turned her back on the hay and laid down.
Uh oh...
In a moment she got up and walked into the group. She put her muzzle down into the hay but didn't take a bite. She was damp on her sides from laying in the melting snow. I walked around and did a quick check up on her. She didn't seem to be in distress.

I went in the house to set up a computer for Rich so he could do his Speech/Memory Therapy with the VA therapist. We sat down and had coffee and watched Sunshine out the window.
I waited until I connected Rich to his therapist and then explained that I was headed out because we had a 'sick' mule. Sunshine had gotten down and wasn't getting up. I decided to catch her and walk her.
I grabbed my stethoscope and headed out the door.

I got Sunshine out of the pasture and she seemed slightly interested in the grass for a nanosecond. Then she just lifted her head and looked off into the distance.
She wasn't bright eyed and her ears were slightly cool to the touch.
We began to walk.

Down she went.

Have you ever tried to move a mule that simply has decided NOT to move?  Her ears were cold, that worried me.

I finally got her up and took her inside the shed to the large round pen. At least she'd dry off and I could hopefully get her to keep moving.

I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and asked Google to find Veterinarians in my area. I wanted to call Apple Valley as they knew my mules and had treated Sunshine's mother years ago as well as Siera and Mica.

What came next was what was to become my worst nightmare. They would call me back.
When they did, I was told that the doctors were unavailable, one was on vacation and the other was out with a herd of cattle. They were very sorry could I call around?

I asked Rich to start making phone calls.
And he did.
One Vet said he could come out on Monday.
Another said they were not able to come out until after 5 pm. Rich kept calling...

Sunshine walked a bit and then as if she had turned to rubber, dropped to the floor of the shed.



You can see how she covered herself in dirt and just stayed there. I checked her gut sounds...and

at one point I heard nothing...
and then I heard some faint gurgling.

I kept trying to get her up when she laid flat out. Her heart beat was elevated slightly but she didn't seem to be breathing exceptionally hard. I felt her ears and they were warm again.

I took my fingers and tried a trick I'd done with puppies to make them go poop. I massaged around her rectum. I had no idea if it would work. Either by chance or design, she struggled and stretched and a huge gaseous fart erupted.

Okay. I stood up and cheered.
Sunshine groaned and stretched out again on her side. She shook her legs and I finally got her up.

Rich came out to tell me that a vet was coming from Muscoda and would be here in an hour or so.
Sunshine flopped down again and moaned. I asked Rich to get me some warm soapy water. He prepared that while I prepped a makeshift enema. Epsom salts and warm water. I dabbed a plastic syringe into petroleum jelly and headed back out the door. I soaped up her bum then inserted the plastic syringe and pushed the warm Epsom salt solution into her rectum.
Sunshine didn't even pay attention to me. There was no glow in her eyes. And for a while I thought it was a futile effort.
I couldn't get her up, so I soaped up my hand and reached in. I found dry poop her rectum and carefully pulled it out. Behind that was a nicely formed stool. When I pulled out my messy hand more poop came out. I cleaned my hand and then her bum.
She turned and looked at me.

I got her up again and she walked a bit longer. Then down she went.
A bunch of curse words went through my mind as I knelt by her head.

She closed her eyes and slowly seemed to fall into a deep slumber. I decided to let her rest and not disturb her. After all she may have been up struggling with a belly ache all night and perhaps, just perhaps she was exhausted.

Smart phone. Huh. I typed out a search *How long can a horse sleep on its side safely?* I read through the posts and decided to just let her sleep, if that is what she was doing. Sunshine was not struggling, nor was she breathing hard. She was dry and her ears were warm. I sat next to her head and watched as her eyes closed and her breathing got slower and slower.

I held my breath.
Oh please let this not be her last moments. And then: If it is her last moments, I will be with her.

After about 15 minutes which felt like eternity, Sunshine snorted and rolled up
onto her sternum. Her ears twitched and with her eyes wide open she lunged to her feet and shook.
I was on my feet next to her.
I listened to her sides and heard gut noises.

Sunshine laid down again. I left the round pen discouraged. I needed a quick drink of water and I wanted to see if Rich heard from the vet.

When I came back out to the shed not 5 minutes later, Sunshine was up, ears perked forward and she nickered at me. Be still my little boney heart!

She pawed at the gate. Wow, I thought, what a sudden turn around.

I heard a vehicle coming down the driveway. I figured it was the veterinarian. I greeted her with a huge smile saying, "I think our patient just had a break through! She is standing and alert!"

Doc examined Sunshine and pronounced her out of danger. She got a shot of banamine for the stomach pains and Doc suggested I get some from her to keep on hand. Swift weather changes like we'd been having or food changes were generally suspicious for causing colic in equine.

While we were talking, Sunshine walked over to the bucket I'd brought in to sit on and knocked it over. She was behaving like her normal mule self.

Sunshine...Sunshine...my little red molly mule.

You are more special to me than you know!
[The photo is of me about 19 years ago holding Sunshine in my arms moments after she was born. Cheyanne was my mare.]

I paid the vet and she instructed me on how to use the banamine I'd purchased. Doc gave me some helpful tips on colic which included the very things I'd done.

Doc said she'd rather come to a farm and see her patient recovering than to see something more hopeless. She was all smiles as was I.

I am happy to report that Sunshine is feeling just fine. She became Miss Cranky Pants when she realized that she'd been separated from her friends and suddenly she was starving..and Cranky.


All kidding aside.
I feel very lucky to have Sunshine in my life.


Thank you Dr. Mary from Riverdale Vet Clinic.



6 comments:

  1. I am so happy that this story had a happy ending for you and Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know you deal with many health/animal issues so you can understand it all!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:16 PM

    That is true love doing what you did for Sunshine as gross as it must have been. What a reward though to see her recover. Yay for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't really gross, I should have gone into the house and gotten a vet sleeve/glove, but I just did it without thinking. I've done this before and one of our vets does it as a protocol if an equine it colicking. One of the things about it, she didn't react at all when I did it and that meant she had pain and other things to worry about.
      Now that she is fine, I would never attempt that! LOL! Thanks, it was a relief after a long chilly day!

      Delete
  3. Scary, but you did good! You saved her!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may have worked it out on her own, but I was pretty upset. Thank you.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.