Saturday, August 02, 2014

Busy as a bee in the garden.

I could tell you about my strange dreams last night as I tried to sleep.

Okay.

I will.

We were trying to milk a herd of cows in a strange place and I knew that hubby put the milkers on wrong and that he shouldn't let the bull run through the milking area at the same time...

Someone said the dream meant I needed more calcium in my diet if I was dreaming of milking cows.
Really?
I haven't milked cows since... well, 22 years I think.
[But to satisfy the calcium deficiency... I bought ice cream today...]

So I tossed and turned after getting home at 1am last night.
I suppose it was that Cherry Coke I treated myself to when I filled up with gasoline.

So ...
I was up and at 'em early this morning.

I decided to go down and check out how dry the garden was and if I should water it.

I ended up picking an ice cream pail full of green beans, cukes, squash, cauliflower, peas, and a yellow beet.


I made cucumber salad with the cukes, munched on the carrots as I prepared the beans and the golden beet for freezing...and even froze most of the cauliflower.

Oh and by the way.
The garden was dry.
Very dry.

So I set about watering it today with a mister.  Ok, not a MR. but a light mist of water under the leaves nearer the roots.
Tonight I have a sprinkler going on the rest of the area.

Our shared garden is bountiful.

When the tomatoes start to ripen I'm going to be busy.
But all those veggies are sure going to taste great in the winter.

Not only that, they will work nicely with the beef we've home raised and the wild black berries I picked and froze.

There is some real satisfaction in raising all of your own food.

Yes, it takes a lot of work, but the effort is worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.