a photo of leaves that I'd shot just last week... I monkeyed around with opacity of the layers... and added some 'noise' in the form of grain [Elements filters] and came up with this.
Next I took a prospective shot that I'd like to try a bit of my own layering on.
Surely these do NOT look like a combination should do anything. But I decided to try anyway.
What I ended up with was something a bit warmer and nicer than the original shot and if you look closely you can see some texture. I did use a layer mask to bring out the bright red of the leaves on the lower right and the true color of the berries. I think it is nice and subtle.