Friday, April 29, 2011

When can I go back?




This crossed my mind as I slid a CD into my old car's player and drove to work in the semi dark yesterday with snowflakes plunking against my windshield.

I thought, what did I miss most about Hawai'i and then it came to me.
The sounds of the ocean.

In fact the music pouring out of my speakers as I navigated the switchback roads and curves into Romance Valley were from
Israel Kamakawiwo ~ White Sandy Beaches of Hawai'i

*
The sound of the ocean
soothes my restless soul
The sound of the ocean
rocks me all night long*

Yes it was the sound of the waves hitting the rocks and the beaches that lulled me to sleep on our last trip and the first thing I heard when I woke up in the morning.
Even though our rental may well have been nearly a mile above the ocean on the hillside.

As a child my parents had rented a house very near the ocean. Each night the sounds of the ocean put me to sleep and woke me up.

I miss those sounds.

Especially on a cold April morning with snowflakes dashing against my windshield.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.