So a lot of this is 'news' that isn't worth news to some folks.
Sunshine is doing well at Kristi's place. In April she will be 29 years old. She is showing her age in her face but not her attitude and willingness to go riding.
Kristi has given her a new pasture mate named Willow. Another mare and Sunshine is really quite happy with that.
Her gelding Cash, seems to be losing weight so she has moved him into an area where she can grain him and help him maintain a healthy condition.
We have finally figured out what is going on with Siera. Her weight and the great pasture I had was not kind to her.
I did some more researching about pastures and removed them from the back meadow. It is lush and has quite a bit of white clover in it. The high sugar content is not good for her. In years past, that back meadow has been grazed to the ground with 4 or 5 mules so it wasn't so lush and dangerous.
This morning I walked around and set up a plan to try and deal with Siera's weight [I know, I dropped the ball on this issue because she had been going through periods where she seemed 'cured'.]
Tomorrow I am making Sundance and Siera a smaller lot in this shady area. I can keep them there until Winter and they can be joined by Sunshine this late fall. It will be a dry 'lot' where I can monitor exactly what they eat and their condition.
Old photo from 5 years ago.
What a difference a wet summer makes when you have only 2 grazers instead
Sundance is the youngest mule. She has been off and on slightly gimpy for quite a while now. She has been diagnosed with ringbone in her right front. Otherwise she is perfectly healthy and full of herself. Ringbone is a form of arthritis. Treatment can include joint injections, special shoes, and special meds. She is a pasture pet and only shows slight discomfort once in a great while.
Three older mules and an ancient pony cannot keep down our pastures so I have to consider doing something different.
The large meadow in front of the house will be brush hogged and one section will be bulldozed so I can mow it myself next year. The other half will be used as a winter pasture since it offers protection from the winds.
Photo from last year. Winter Pasture.
I'll keep mowing the back meadow because the dogs and I love walking there and in the winter it will make a nice area to cross country ski.
Little Richard is 35 years old and his teeth are worn out. He made it through last winter with flying colors.
This summer he gained weight being staked out and having access to a small forested paddock. He is slowly losing weight again. I am fighting a slow motion battle that I will lose. It will pain me to possibly make a decision this fall with him.
I'm a realist. I won't keep animals that are in poor condition or in constant pain. I feel that is cruel. We set our long term plans in motion 10 years ago when Rich was no longer able to help with chores and maintenance. We kept the elder animals to give them a retirement. The young ones we had were sold. Over the years, the elder animals have crossed over.
Charlie is recovering nicely. He has been bossing Hannah around and trying to steal her chew bones. Uffdah. I can't let him do that! He is back to ruling the household.Me?
What makes you think that?








I guess any animals, even mules, need a lot of consideration to live their best lives. You certainly have to plan around things that most don’t.
ReplyDelete