Sunday, August 30, 2026

Big Night Out



The August Sturgeon Moon was the big event of the week. I was excited to be able to watch the partial eclipse.

I raced up to the ridge and caught the full moon rising over the cropland. 


As darkness settled in the moon lit up the night sky with a brilliant orange. 



At home, I prepared two cameras so I could shoot two different scenes at once. One camera with the long lens set up for just shooting the moon.

My other much older camera set up to shoot [hopefully] stars.

I'd never tried shooting star trails during a full moon. The dogs joined me in the yard and trotted around with their collar lights. They were not too interested in what I was doing even though I explained in great detail about the camera settings and how everything worked.

At least when I talk out loud, I can say that I'm talking to the pups and not to myself.

As I started photographing the eclipse, my cohorts asked to go in and sleep on their blankets. Kids!


I had one camera in the driveway and the other one at the edge of the pasture pointed at the house.

Imagine my surprise when I actually was able to 'do' a star trail with the bright moon shining! [plus satellite and plane trails].


I was ecstatic. I had always thought that one couldn't shoot star trails unless one had perfectly dark skies.
Well.
I guess that is a fallacy. 

The moon slowly started to enter earth's shadow. 


I set a timer for every 20 minutes to take a shot of the changing moon.






I walked back and forth between the two places I had cameras set up. I drank decaf coffee to keep awake [and yes, it helped].

As the moon got darker and darker I fiddled around and finally got a decent set up for the next star trail looking north from the other side of the house.


The dogs asked to come out for another inspection. I think if they could have talked they'd have demanded that I come in and go to bed.

I watched the moon became a sliver. 



And then I noticed something very unusual.

I could see the Milky Way. I could SEE the Milky Way on a Full Moon night.

So I took this shot. Not great, but one can see the light of the partial moon and the Milky Way.


I was breathless. The shot didn't turn out very well, but still...it was something you never can see during a full moon. 


I was done in by this time and the heavy dew was getting my cameras wet, so I called it a night.

Of course I couldn't just go to bed, I was too wired up. I decided to review my photos right then.

The final composite of the moon
 shots put together in one frame. 



It will be a night I won't forget. 

I didn't go to bed until about 2AM. [up at 5:30!]

How lucky was I that I could stand in my driveway and watch this event take place.

The last time I'd photographed a lunar eclipse was May 26, 2021. I caught part of the eclipse while hiking to the top of a bluff in the dark and getting a shot as the moon was heading west and the sun was rising.

It was called the Super Blood Moon/Flower Moon.👇










 

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:30 AM

    Fantastic pictures! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and I did get a nap in the next day!

      Delete
  2. Whoa, Val, this is amazing! You are an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been practicing shots like these since 2015 when I first tried and failed. But persistence and learning do pay off. I've studied YT videos and other guides.
      It wasn't that difficult, it just seems like magic.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done!! Complete with one of those fancy progression comps of your eclipse shots. Fun photography night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Unfortunately, I never got the blood red moon in shadow, I haven't quite figured that out yet. Maybe next time.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful shots!
    We watched too. I was hoping that the Aurora Borealis was going to make an appearance at the same time, but that didn’t happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure was hoping the Aurora would show up too, what a bonus that would have been!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your photographic wizardry. Some of those shots are quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lots of practice and errors over the years.

      Delete
  6. Conditions were very good to you on this special night, and you used them well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was lucky with the weather and the ability to see it in such a dark area.

      Delete
  7. I have a confession. I am not all that interested in stars and planets and moons. Over my objections I sat in my front yard with the silly glasses for the eclipse in 2024. It was FANTASTIC. I was mesmerized.
    Your photos are fantastic. But I have to say that the star trails are even better than the eclipse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it much either until Rich started pointing things out to me years ago. We hunted at night and the stars and the moon meant everything to him. Then I became fascinated with it too!

      Delete
  8. I watched the moon come up last night. It was so pretty. I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. REALLY cool! I got dizzy looking at your star trails. The milky way looks like smoke rising. I looked out for the same moon. For once our skies weren't cloudy but a cell doesn't take a very good photo of the cotton starting to cover the moon. Your photos could be great on the wall! Guess dogs are bored and don't howl at that type of moon. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how this turned into a proper little adventure rather than just photographing the eclipse. Beautiful images. I think that is what makes photography so rewarding, you can spend hours setting things up and sometimes the best photograph is the one you never planned for. Staying up until 2am and still getting up at 5:30 though, I don't know how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Most things I do tend to become some sort of adventure. :)
      My dogs made sure I woke up so they could have breakfast and fall back asleep.

      Delete
  11. Rachael K10:23 PM

    What an amazing night you had! The photos are amazing as well. The Super Blood Moon from 2021 with the itty bitty houses, really shows how large the moon is . . .it’s all perspective, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.