Wednesday, November 16, 2022

The Trail Challenge is

...finished. I completed it on Monday.

I thought I'd feel elated and ecstatic.

I figured I'd be jumping up and down when Charlie and I finished that last mile and I handed in the paperwork.

I waited for the skies to open and majestic music well up with some sort of inspiring music.

Nothing.

Even Charlie was subdued. He curled up in his car seat as I drove home. He rested his head on the edge of the crate so he could stare at me.

I reached over and turned on some music, the kind I'd expected to hear in my head when I finished.

I drove home in deep thought.

Rich was more excited than I was. He got up and smiled and asked how it went. 

I shrugged and made us lunch.

Section 41.


This was probably the most boring hike of all. It was mostly alongside a road from County F near the Billings Creek [not a trail anymore] to the trail head at Hay Valley on Hay Valley Road.

I had to park at Bridge 6 and walk back to the trail head because there was a large group of hunters that had taken up all of the parking area.

The most scenic part of this trail is the Kickapoo River at the bridge and the pond not far from it.





The pond had ice on its surface.

Alongside the road farmers had planted their winter wheat and cover crops which were brilliant green against the backdrop of the yellow-brown corn stalks and stubble. The sky was absolutely grey and lifeless.

At least there was no harsh wind to blast us as we walked this last section in wide open spaces. 

When we got back to the Subaru, I considered taking a shot of the two of us standing on the bridge in triumph. But it didn't feel like that at all. 

I woke up this morning and thought about what I'd done. I'd accomplished a goal that very few people were able to do. AND, I did it with Charlie at my side. I also involved a good friend for part of it.

It was a personal accomplishment. I'd done the 59 miles on their paperwork and many more with family and friends.

I found interesting trails that I'd never would have taken if I hadn't been 'forced' to. I got 'off' trail many times and found places I want to go back and explore more deeply.


Rich asked me yesterday, "What now?"

I didn't have an answer. I just shrugged.

But I thought about it a bit and over coffee this morning while watching the snow fall, I thought...


How many people on KVR's list of those who have done all the trail sections have ever had a repeat Back to Back?


What amazing things can we accomplish if we put our minds to it?

Indeed.

What next?



Maybe I'll just explore those secret places I found while hiking the trails. Who knows?

11 comments:

  1. You could be a guide for school groups or people who want to hike but need direction!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be great though not exactly something I could definitely schedule and adhere to. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I got Charlie a nice doggy bed as his hiking Challenge Gift. He loves it. But still snuggles with Rich during the day on the couch. :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on completing the KVR Trail Challenge!! What a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of planning to accomplish so having done that, I am considering using that trial ... trail and errors... to do it better? I don't know yet. I have to think about it.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Val & Charlie! One thing I do know, there will be something next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an achievement! Congratulations. I'm sending up virtual fireworks for you and Charlie. I'm sorry the last hike was disappointing. You are really an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks. I knew that trail was a bit disappointing as it was just a walk alongside a road. If I have to do it again, I will choose mid summer or early spring when the plants are interesting!
      Loved the virtual fireworks, thanks!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Congrats! A long hike and finally finished. Do you get your name in lights or on a web page or something? Does the parks service keep a record? Sill, the self satisfaction ond bringing us along for the ride ( without all the walking and cold...) is something to be proud of. There is a trail in Iowa that starts in Dubuque and ends somewhere in Iowa. ( Ganger Trail..perhaps?) It has a section along the road as well. Not the best start, but does go along an old railroad track. Ask Charlie what he wants for his next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never cold on any of the hikes even the ones I did that were below zero hikes. However, I knew where to hike and stay out of the winds.
      There are some great trails that call my name...however they are too far for from home for me to work on. I hope one day I can! Thanks.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.