Friday, November 25, 2022

Quiet day

I was up early, not to put the turkey in the oven, but to have some coffee and breakfast before meeting up with my neighbor as we had both signed up for a fund raiser 'rowing' & movie event at the gym.

This is what greeted me while I walked up the road to catch a ride with my neighbor, Olive. I only had my cell phone and IF I'd had my camera, I would have been tempted to spend a good long time photographing different aspects of this scene!

Sometimes I wish I lived on the ridge...not during winds and storms though!


The gym owner is a fire fighter and very community oriented. The rowing event was conducted with a free will 'donation' in a little drop box where we donated money for a family that needed help. 

He put on the movie Elf and we started rowing. I had a couple of young sisters as team mates and we each rowed until we wanted a break and then the next person took over. It was fun. While waiting my turn I could catch up with other members of the gym that I hadn't seen in a while and talk with the sisters.

I couldn't really hear the movie, but it was fun to watch it anyway and visit. It is probably the biggest social event I've been to in the past few years.

When I got home, I found Rich doing this:


He had gotten bored while waiting and pulled out some pieces from the pie tin we had the bits in and put together little chairs. He did this without looking at the instructions of course! I was pretty amazed as he has terrible tremors which really frustrate him. But somehow he got this done!

I turned off all my electronics and spent part of the day cleaning and purging items from the closet under the stairs. I found a box that contained pictures and items that my brother had sent to me a long time ago. I'd put the items in the only closet space we had at the time.

Anyway I found some fun drawings I did as a kid. 

I recall being fascinated by the history of the Roman Kingdom and the violent world they lived in. Latin - Roman Wars -- drawings I did as a 6th grader.
I loved it that my Dad kept all sorts of our kid artwork. It creates warm fuzzy memories of childhood.



I found a beautiful blow up photo of my favorite shot my father took in 1965 of the after math of the eruption of Kilauea Iki in 1959.


Here is my shot from 2001 of the same tree


and a photo of us dated 1965 walking up the Devastation Trail at Volcano National Park.


In 2010 I went back with my father's ashes to put them in the place he was always the happiest.
Another trip down Devastation Trail was made and this was the result.


I think I need to go back and really get the angle right! Though to do so, I think I'd have to step off the trail. In 1965 that was dangerous as the lava field was apparently a bit sketchy to walk on.

The fond memories set me in a quiet mood. Some days I wish for those days again. You know, when we were kids and exploring as a family together. Pre Later Life Drama. 

I cleaned and vacuumed the tiny basement area while I dug out the Christmas boxes of stuff. I have no idea what I'll do this year for decorating. I'm going to lean towards a simple prelit and fake birch tree and go from there.

Rich took his afternoon nap and Charlie and I spent time snuggled and reading on the couch. 

The sunset was as spectacular as the sunrise:



BLTs for supper and an episode of The Santa Clauses Series on Disney +. We get good laughs out of the comedy Christmas programs.



8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely day. It is good to have memories to reflect upon and feel good about. You live in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do live in a beautiful place. I am having a hard time thinking about the day when I may have to move? I really am conflicted.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting photos of the tree and volcano. Love your art work you can draw!! Sounds like a relaxing day after the rowing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can draw sort of... I hope to go back to Hawaii in a few years while I can still enjoy seeing how things have changed since 1965 and of course my last trip in 2010.

      Delete
  3. "Precious memories, how they linger".....
    You are lucky to have some memorabilia from your childhood. All I have are the memories, as our house burned down when I was 17. Lost boxes of photos, things my dad had made, poems written by my sister who was killed by a drunk driver at age 16, and worst of all, our good dog Jake.
    Beautiful photos of the morning and evening light.
    Quiet days are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I am glad my dad kept these items. There are a lot of push pin holes in the drawings as my dad had them on his bulletin board in his office.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:39 PM

    I vote for the Christmas Chair! You are so good at that!!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Lori, not sure this year, I am trying something a bit different.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.