Monday, June 01, 2020

Welcome June with Bugs!




And there it is. The first day of June. 

Welcome those pesky gnats too. I don't welcome them but since they are part of our natural world here I learn to deal with them.

First off, stop using scented shampoos, deodorant, and lotions. Anything that smells nice is a bug attractant. I stopped using scented laundry soap and dryer sheets long time ago. 
Some of my secret anti - gnat and bug preps are as follows. Wash your face before going outside with the old Noxema face cream stuff. It stinks and smells like Eucalyptus. Gnats hate it. Brush your teeth and rinse with brown yucky mouthwash.
Gnats and bug love the smell of carbon dioxide, they are attracted to your breath when you exhale.
Think about carrying a tiny sample bottle of the stuff and rinsing your mouth as you hike.

I use a couple of different bug repellents. The cheapest is Absorbine Jr. it is down right nasty smelling! But put it on your hat and dab it all over. Just be aware that it will feel like it is heating up if you are working in the sun! 
Menthol is its main ingredient, you SO do not want to put this on your face or under your eyes as it will irritate them!
I used some the other day on the back of my neck. I felt it was on fire when I started to sweat and then realized that the product was simply doing what it was supposed to do. Warm things up.


Bugg. I had three different varieties of Bugg. The blue bottle is not available right now because one of their ingredients is not available. I use the green for gnats and it smells good too.

These are a bit more pricey than brand name bug spray like Off, but easy to carry in a cargo pants pocket and spritz as needed. 

Herbel Armor. This is an old bottle that came in a lotion. Caution, this stuff will even repel husbands. It stinks, but if you wish to keep bugs away? This works well. I use it sparingly and I do not share it. The cost for 8 oz of the stuff is pretty pricey. But, it does work well. I'll be picking some up at the local Food Co-op again this year. I see the 8 oz family size is about $20 on Amazon. Yikes! I should be able to purchase this for $8.99 in town.
Shop local when you can, right?

If all else fails, you can purchase like I have some essential oils and dribble some geranium oil, peppermint, and citronella on an old hat and kerchief.  The whole purpose of keeping those nasty bugs away is to cover your scent.

When it is really bad, I use Vicks Vapo Rub on my ears. Yuck. But the gnats and 'skeeters stay off. 

With skeeters, gnats, and flies, in the summer, I still enjoy getting out in the woods and shooting photos.
In the thick underbrush 'bug juice' is necessary.  
Part of the allure of winter is no bugs.  



Without Proper Prep, I wouldn't last on some days in the woods and be able to enjoy a nice hike.

On ticks. 
Well, I change my clothes when I get back home and hang out my woodsey clothes outside on the porch and do a check and wash up because I smell like Eucalyptus, Menthol and other strong scents. 

I also use some of these essential oils mixed with Witch Hazel for the mules. I have experimented over the years and found that homemade sprays work about as well as the expensive stuff. Which is to say.
Not very well.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:14 AM

    I love the picture of the mules headed through the trees. All is fine here - no bugs here yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have those gnats and skeeters. I use absorbine jr all the time...it takes away the itch of a bug bite... :) Love that first shot perfect light on that Wild Geranium!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.