Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Still Doing CrossFit

I took some time off with the wicked weather and the non stop bad weather.

I considered taking March off and maybe just starting back up in mid-April. When I talked to my oldest son he told me I shouldn't do that. It would be too darned easy just to not sign up again.
We talked a bit and two things happened.

The weather got a bit better and I decided to switch to the 8:30 class. I get my chores done and coffee made for Rich before I leave. Generally he wakes up and goes back to be by the time I leave. He generally is just getting up when I get back so I consider that a really perfect time for me.
[Bonus! This past week he has experienced a slight improvement in his knee and has less pain!]

Today we did something called AMRAP. As many reps as possible in a set time.
I was pretty happy with what I did today. I didn't think about it until I got home and added up what I did in that AMRAP 25 minutes.
I won't bore you...
Oh yes I will.
I had 3 sets of 50 Air Squats, 3 sets of 200 jumps with the jump rope, 3 sets of Dead Lifts with a personal record of 45 lbs. That doesn't include the other items we did as the rest of the program. How did I feel afterwards?

It didn't bother me to haul a 50 lb bag of dog food to the shed. I felt good and refreshed ... well, I did need a shower too!

I'm glad my son said something to me and gave me that bump of encouragement when I really needed it.
The magic number right now seems to be 3. I've been going 3 times a week as long as things are working out.
I hope to catch one day a week this month to go to the Kickapoo Valley Reserve.

I hiked there last Friday and took a short drive to check out some trail heads and ice formation.


I feel things are on a more even keel right now. And that is good.

If you haven't guessed by now, I am a firm advocate for moving and doing. I met a gent who I work out with now that has an incredible story to tell about what courage and determination has done for him. Let me say that he told me that two years ago when he joined CrossFit, he just gone from a walker to a cane.
He no longer uses a cane and each day I work out with him and others I am reminded what exercise can do for the body and the mind.



3 comments:

  1. I shoveled snow again does that count! You must have great knees hips and ankles to do the jump rope...way to go! Good to hear that Rich is a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky there so far. The activities should help. I do have osteoarthritis in my hands and feet, but building strength helps those areas. My elbows and shoulders have always been my issues, so I am lucky aren't I?
      Yes less pain equals a slightly improved attitude!

      Delete
  2. Good for you! No doubt about it....move it or lose it. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.