Sunday, March 17, 2019

Once upon a time...

This is a story of a memory which may or may not be very accurate.

When I was very young I seem to recall going to Art Class and the teacher asked us to draw a scene.
Being a typical kindergartner [or first grader?] I took the beautiful array of colorful crayons and began to make my picture.

I colored grasses and trees, skies and clouds with a flourish of colors. The world would be as I deemed it in my child's eye. The clouds would be purple, the sky would be orange, the leaves would be wild colors of green, yellow, blue, ...anything my heart desired.

I put the sun in the upper right corner with multicolored rays emitting from it.

The Art Teacher came around and told me that the sky was blue. The grass is green and so were leaves on the trees. I was told to do my picture over.

I recall telling this to my father. I was very heartbroken that I had to color things the way the teacher saw it. My world was brilliant and imaginative [I didn't have the vocabulary at the time to express this to her] and her world was dull and unexciting.

I want to believe that my father talked to the teacher. But I do know that he did talk to me about it. He told me it was perfectly okay to draw the world in any color I wished, and if I wanted to the sky to be orange or purple, that was fine.

And so I bring you to my next photography experimentation. The Infared Converted camera.

It allows me to giggle and smile at a world not seen by many.

Magical.

Wild.
Where skies can be odd colored, where trees can be white or pink at my choosing.






Infrared photography is best done in the summer, but being who I am, I couldn't help but try it out in the brilliant snow.

And if I want purple clouds?



I sure can have them!

Who says dreams don't come true?


4 comments:

  1. Val, I am a retired art teacher and have taught all ages from 3-90. No way would I say that to anyone. Even today, I tell my students (all retired) that there is such a thing as artistic license and no matter what they do it's their personal expression. Currently I am more of a catalyst as my students all work on whatever they want in different mediums and I seldom do group lessons. Any techniques are worked on individually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are and you let people express themselves! I wonder how a teacher could ever be like that? However that was so many years ago!

      Delete
  2. Yes freedom to express yourself is wonderful! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I joined an Infrared site and they are giving me some incredible pointers, so I am a very happy camper. This looks like a fun new direction for me!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.