Monday, January 05, 2015

Cold 'Nuff for Yah?


The wind chills are something to be concerned about as NOAA explains on their site....
Wind Chill is the term used to describe the rate of heat loss on the human body resulting from the combined effect of low temperature and wind. As winds increase, heat is carried away from the body at a faster rate, driving down both the skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature.

That said, it is important to make sure you are bundled up properly when you go outside in this weather.
A pair of driving gloves and ear muffs are just not going to cut it.

Not when skin exposure to the air can create frostbite in 10 minutes.

However.
I did go hiking and as you can see, I dressed for it.
I was extremely comfortable and actually had to be careful not to get too warm!

I took my cameras in a backpack that I stuck a 'handwarmer' in.  The warmer helped keep the cameras' batteries from getting too cold.

And when I did use a tripod and the fingers were exposed, I was able to stick the handwarmer in my mittens -- mittens with fingers.

When I got out of the slight breeze...which was causing all the chill factor, I was able to hike through the creek bottom without gloves on.


At 3pm the sun had exited the valley where I was walking but still lit up the trees above me on the ridge.

The glow reflected on the water was well worth it.


If you are wondering why this is not frozen over, it is because this stream has several springs and the water will run.  
In other places it does freeze over but the water still runs underneath the ice.


The shot above is looking back from the previous photo.

As the sun got lower casting the whole valley into shadow, I headed back.

I felt warm and comfortable and even had to walk a bit slowly while climbing the hill.

I didn't take Morris with me as I was pretty sure he'd walk in the water and get his feet quite cold.

I found it interesting that aside from some squirrel tracks, rabbit tracks, and some mouse tracks, there had been nearly no activity since the cold hit.

And then I wondered if I was the only idiot that was out and about!

On the ridge the windchills were -25 give or take.
When I got home hubby asked that wonderful question:

"So Honey was it cold enough for yah?"


3 comments:

  1. The cold has descended here as well.

    You came up as a winner in my fudge contest, but UI still don't have your address. If you would like some, send me an email at aerissana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't live all that far from The Dancing Donkey, so our weather is quite similar. 12 degrees this morning and it looks like tomorrow is going to be the worst. The horses are going to need lots of extra hay!

    I have improved slightly, but it has been a very long two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I sent one email...will try again!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.