Monday, December 17, 2007

Winter Sunsets...



I don't really know why, but as soon as I got home, I grabbed Morris and we took a walk 'to watch the sunset on the ridge'. The sunset was really beautiful ... not in the spectacular bright color beautiful, but in the subdued pastel beauty that can come with a cold winter's eve.

I wanted to see where the sun was setting so I could go up Thursday night and mark the approximate spot of the winter solstice [Friday night should find me in Kenosha].

I like to watch the sun crawl across its axis [is that the right word?]. I like to keep track of the movement in order to 'shoot' the best sunsets I can. Years of watching have been paying off. I can nearly mentally know where the sun is going to set on my landscape at any time of the year.

I think it is the job of a good photographer to learn these things. That and patience! I've been by this particular spot many times on walks, rides, and driving to work. Yet I have never stopped to look at a sunset from behind the beat up mailbox.

Frankly I was surprised at the image I got. It caused emotion. When it causes emotion to me, then I have got 'it'.

Getting 'it' is what photography is all about to me. Someone else may see the same photo and not get the excitement I did, but that fleeting moment will come back every time I view this particular shot.

Wow, I felt good tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 AM

    I can tell your feeling better and on the mend. Nice shot and good words. Three more days and the days start to get a little longer. Yeah!!! Merry Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks my friend! Yes on the mend and ready to rock and roll and ride Badger for Xmas!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.