We have safely passed through another big Holiday. Rich was not a 4th of July guy. He preferred to stay at home and let 'the rookies' get into trouble on the Holidays.
He actually would have trouble with fireworks, especially those being set off when he didn't expect them.
Loud noises, sirens, helicopters, low flying planes, fireworks, and gunshots. They were all triggers for his chronic and severe PTSD. So all of our Holidays over the years have been at home and very quiet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hannah's incision was well enough for us to sign up for a 1 mile walk/run [there was also a 3 mile, 5 mile, and 10 mile event but the dogs wanted to go...and is was hot ... so...]
So I asked the 'kids' if they wanted to go to town and take a walk. This was their reaction.
[Charlie was yawning, but we can pretend he said YES!]
the pups sat like this
through the
Star Spangled Banner.
We headed off behind the big crowd of runners with my friend Charlene and her grandkids. The cool-ish morning turned very hot so I am very happy that I hadn't decided to do anything foolish like try and walk 3 miles with the dogs.
We finished the walk and when I went to the kiddy pool to pick up a little bottle of water for me, Hannah tried to jump in it. I did have water for them with their little foldable doggy water bowl.
Next stop was the Farmer's Market. I had told another girlfriend that I'd stop by. I took off the 'clothes' and we headed into a crowd of kids, dogs, and holiday goers.
We ran into quite a few tourists who asked about what 'breed' Hannah and Charlie were and were they related? There were some very nice and friendly dogs at the Market too.
The point of the excursion was to get Hannah used to crowds and socialization so she will be a good dog. Charlie mostly ignored people and other dogs as if he were above it all.
Except little kids. He loves little kids. He stood quietly wagging his tail and panting as he was fawned over.
Once in a while he'd look over at Hannah and I as if to say...
"You know who is the STAR here!"
The two of them were tired and worn out after the busy morning and spent most of the day napping while I read a book and relaxed.
It was still too wet to mow and the yard still squished when I walked in the lower areas.
Charlie slept on his chair and Hannah? Well, our house and farm were as Secure as ever as she kept a watchful [ahem] eye on the place.





It seems that they did well, and you too. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, a well behaved dog and human are much more pleasant to be around!
DeleteExposure is always good, but I sure hate fireworks! Fortunately we were not near too many and Little Wonder was able to sleep through them. We have cooled off quite a bit and will have a lot of rain off and on this week. You three sure are meant for each other! Lori
ReplyDeleteThanks, that means a lot. I enjoy animals so much but then you do also and you understand that.
DeleteLove the Security outfit. Our KC VA is close to the ball park. I'd have to warn my guys when there was a game because fireworks were shot off for home runs and if we won the game. (I showed my veterinarian son your blog from Charlie about "broken" Hanna. He laughed about Charlie's viewpoint. It's really cute.) Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day! I think your one mile walk was perfect and Hannah seems to be adjusting to being out and about! I am sure Charlie got lots of love from all the littles. Your holiday sounds pretty great.
ReplyDeleteI am not a fireworks fan. I don't like the noise and I feel like I have seen them before. Our neighbors started on Thursday and exploded things all weekend. I am glad I don't have small children or animals. It would have driven them nuts.
Fireworks always make me nervous. Never been a firework fan. I think I have some pooch in my DNA. Looks like Charlie and Hanna did really well. I enjoy talking to people with dogs. They are usually very friendly and happy to have a chat.
ReplyDeleteI am not fond of large crowds and I detest fireworks, so a walk with the dogs seems like a much better alternative. And what a fine time you had, and they, no doubt, basked in all the attention.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely made the right choice. No one will mess with Hannah. She has Charlie as backup. This sounds like a mighty fine day.
ReplyDeleteYup, Hannah will lick them to death after she barks at them!
DeleteDog friendly public events are great for socializing. Love that each dog has a chair, complete with cushion!
ReplyDeleteWell, Hannah got on Charlie's chair and I put Charlie on my chair...I get a laugh out of them sitting on chairs as if I were their waitress!
DeleteI enjoy your trips. Well done. You are a wonderful trio.
ReplyDeleteThanks! We keep working on it!
DeleteNo fireworks here in Hawaii close to us. New Years is when everybody goes crazy.
ReplyDeleteYour furry friends are such good company and I love their shirts too.