Thursday, July 16, 2026

Mornings around here

So mornings have been pretty much the only time I've been doing a lot outside. The bugs have been awful in the mornings unless there is a good breeze.

Thursday morning looked like it was going to be foggy/smokey so I jumped in the 'Ru to avoid the skeeters. 
The smoke and fog were moving in when I parked.




In the skies above, I could see the clouds and sky...


Soon the smoke really decided to move across the landscape.


Chart of the air quality:




Neighbor's cattle on the ridge.


A doe and her triplets. There is a third in the weeds you 
can't see. I caught them in 
the next shot.


A cute little family.


So most of the day was spent doing something I don't like that much. Moving everything and doing a deep deep clean. Walls, floor trim, and even anything else that could keep me going.

I used the left over water in the shallow water tank to wash some pieces of rugs that needed freshening up but can't go in a washing machine.

Wednesday morning I did walk out to the ridge with the dogs and saw some incredible fog and sunlight shining through the logged forest. It almost was worth the attack of skeeters that I encountered.




Mornings and late evening have been the only times I've been out and about doing chores and gardening until the bugs start to chew me up.

Here is to staying out of the smoke and heat. Hang in there. Winter will visit us once more, I hope.



19 comments:

  1. I wish you a wonderful morning, not too hot a day :))
    I’m adding you to my friends and sending a big greeting from my Slovenia - Ljubljana,
    a hug and a kiss, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that we are sending you smoke. Believe me, we would rather not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also coming from Minnesota so it is from one source.

      Delete
    2. *the smoke has several points of origin. I blame no one except the deniers of climate change.

      Delete
  3. It’s unfortunate that our short summers are shortened even more by the biters. We are avoiding the more woodsy paths. About a month from now, they will going back to doing whatever they do until next May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biters will probably ease up this afternoon when we get a breeze and the grasses dry.

      Delete
  4. Smoke, heat, and skeeters -- helloooooooooo summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. My equine prefer the other 3 seasons as the bugs are not as bad!

      Delete
  5. Wish you could wear a skeeter fogging machine. Maybe a beekeeper's hat? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just deal with it and don't go into the brushy forest when there is no breeze and it is humid.
      I do have a head net I wear.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'm from the guilty state. Mark has been wearing a mask when he goes outside. It's bad here. We are supposed to get out of this stifling heat starting tomorrow. I don't know about the smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say 'guilty', I mean the fires are along the US - Canada border also and it is dry as a bone in those areas. It was bound to happen eventually.
      I hope you guys fair well. I know it isn't that great for our animals either.

      Delete
  7. The skeeters and smoke might be miserable but you got some gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would think the smoke would drive the mosquitos away! We just can't catch a break. I can't imagine the devastation these fires are causing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Great shots! Love the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, triplets!! I have only had to use my head net once, earlier in the season. It always goes with me on Summer walks, just incase. Could be worse. I've heard from several deer flies are currently horrible. Bloodsuckers take the fun out of being outdoors. You found natures beauty regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, near some areas the deer flies were pretty nasty when I was riding with my gal friend. Thankfully my mule tips her head back so I can swipe them off her ears.
      Yep, triplets!

      Delete
  11. Isn't that fun, triplets!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.