When I did get home on Thursday morning my furred friends were very annoyed that I'd left without them. I did chores and decided that the yard wasn't shaggy enough and other indoor things could wait until I couldn't be outside.
We headed to Wyalusing State Park to chip away at two more trails that I/we haven't done.
I wanted to go and do the southern trails called Mississippi Ridge Trail and see the Cathedral Tree Drive/Trail.
I'll have to do the Sugar Maple Trail without dogs as they are not allowed in the Pictured Rocks area.
One has to pay attention to the trail usage come winter. Snowshoes are not allowed on ski trails nor is hiking. [unless of course ... there is no snow...]
That aside, it was a pleasant but rather undemanding trail.
Boy, was it ever gorgeous. We didn't hurry, we dawdled along [Okay, I made the dogs dawdle because I held the leashes!].
There sure is something about a trail or a road that twists through a tree lined forest in the fall. The two photos below look like they are the same part of the road.
They aren't. I just must have loved the same curvature I saw.
I must really like roads that curve to the right? Right?
We really took our time. It is unreal to feel 'unrushed' these days. For so many years any adventures or hikes I went on were on a 'time' limit. I had to be back to make something for hubby or check on him. I still went, but I rushed always.
It feels very strange to take my time and not worry. It seems that my previous life had been on a tight schedule. I am discovering the freedom of doing things on my own time.
A predawn morning on a bluff to start the day and a relaxing afternoon hike with the dogs for the late afternoon.
We saw one truck on the Cathedral Tree Drive and that was it. Of course having the ability to go hiking in the middle of the week is an advantage to avoiding crowds.
Seeing the burial mounds along the way was unexpected. The Park keeps the burial mounds mowed and clean.
The things one can learn while just hiking along.
We stopped at the picnic shelter and I forgot to take a shot of the sign explaining why the area was called Henneger Point.
The area was named after Rick Henneger a DNR attorney who dedicated his career in securing thousands of acres for state conservation.
I used to ignore the signs and the plaques I'd find, but now I find it interesting to see the history behind the places I hike.
We sat in the shade of the shelter and gazed down towards the Mississippi while we had snacks before heading home.
My supervisors in the back seat were silent. I think that meant they were happy campers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next up?
Hannah and toilet paper. Honestly, it won't be what you think.
Tonight I am meeting up with the Mississippi Valley Conservancy to go on a 'star walk'. Those leading the hike will be talking about stars on this New Moon night hike.
See?
I'm actually trying something I'd never would have done before.









Enjoy your star walk! So cool!
ReplyDelete