I've been working with a magnet, a rake, and a broom to clean up the concrete slab and the small bits of metal that are in the dirt around it. The 'good stuff' that was hidden in the garage included old rusted coffee cans full of old rusted nails of every size one could think of.
I do know that Rich's father also collected nails, even straight used ones. My Grandparents' generation never threw out things that could be re purposed or reused. My mom was the same way as was Rich's folks and Rich. For those that lived through very hard times, repurposing was not a fad but a necessity.
So, if the garage had never been crushed or inundated with water, most of those nails could have been useful to build something with the lumber that is in the dry confines of our machine shed.
Unfortunately, the clean up dropped a LOT of nails and chunks of miscellaneous metals all around the all garage. This weekend, I filled two 5 gallon buckets with pieces of metal, glass, and nails.
Patrick will be back to do some more work this coming week in the meantime, I am looking for broken glass, metals, and sharp things along with metals. A good magnet on a handle is a great helper.
The dogs check on the progress and then go lay down on the porch. It is too tiring to watch me work.
I did manage to take some 'fun' time for me. On our morning hike/walk with my 4 legged pals, I took some toys.
Hannah is still learning to not always nose over toys while I am photographing. Charlie has that down pat.
The two shots below were done with a deep foggy morning and very little sunlight. I knew the fungi wouldn't stick around once the sun came out so I grabbed my 1:87 HO Scale mountain climbers and thought...this could be fun!
It turned out to be fun. Twice I dropped the tiny guy in the blue shirt. Thankfully it wasn't in a bunch of flowers and it was in the mulch where I could find him easily.
I believe the fungi/mushroom is called Pleated Inky Caps. I find them often in the flowerbed mulch. They are doing a job enriching the soil and breaking down the mulch so I just admire them.
On the dog hike, I brought Qilin, the Mythical Creature from Lego. I built this not because I like the kid series Monkey Boy, but because the creature is posable and delightfully colorful.
I know that Qilin and the Ninjango character I acquired years ago seemed to just go together.
I carefully carried it out to the meadow. [Carefully, I didn't want to lose any pieces of this mythical creature!]
I think Lego missed the point in putting these characters in different toy stories. Definitely this guy and the dragon match in glowing and bright wonderful colors.
no dogs knocked this down!
I left the Mythical Creature at the campsite and followed the dogs deep into the woods. I let them be my guides. I should do that more often.
I found dozens of sights in my forest with Indian Pipes aka Monotropa Uniflora. I like the names: Ghost Plants and Indian Pipes better.
What an amazing background a group of them would make alongside a deer trail for my Princess Sara and her faithful bodyguard Joan of Knight.
Yes, Princess Sara rides a horse and carries her faithful stick horse which I am assuming has magical powers. She also has the little red dragon with her. They are on a mission and a journey to defeat some evil in the world.
After an early morning of tromping through the woods and getting soaked by the dew, we returned home to continue working on the cleaning the old garage site.
By late afternoon, I decided I'd had enough back breaking bending over work and charged up the mower to trim the yard. Over the week we had another half inch of rain along with humidity and heat so the grass decided to really get with the growing program again.
Now that it is out of the way, I don't have to deal with it until next week [hopefully].
I went to bed early. The dogs were exhausted from supervising all day.
But when I woke up around midnight, I couldn't help but stay up a bit longer to admire the Milky Way from the porch.
Looks like a busy short week ahead.
I am planning this weekend to be joyful. With a celebration of my husband's life. Of course it will be bittersweet, but I carry him in my heart always.
I adored the picture of your blue guy precariously climbing the mushroom cap! It sounds like you had a busy and productive day!
ReplyDelete