Saturday, August 19, 2023

Another rambling mule post

Darn, I feel so tall when my shadow is like this!





Those LONG ears. Siera has super duper long ears. She is pointing out a young buck to me...


She is actually listening to me here when I tell her to 'walk on' and stop being stupid.

We walked by a trail that she knows goes towards home and thought she should turn there....



After our evening trail rides, I am ready to tackle the longer route and sent a message to my neighbor, Justin, to see if he'd like to go with.

It has been almost a year since I went on this long trail, so on Saturday afternoon, I will walk it to make sure it is passable.
Then I'll take each of the girls on a solo ride through it. They know this route too as they have done it since they were trained under saddle.

Disclaimer. I did training. They will 'neck' rein on trails as they see the path ahead of them. If they disagree with your choice of trail they will resist. 

Mules often resist because:
They sense the trail in front of them is not in their best interest.
Or it is dangerous in some way.
Or...they just don't see the point.

Following a mule's instinct is sometimes the best option. Unless they are bluffing.

Mules test your humor and your patience. If they do not feel the need to repeat a lesson over and over, they will just stand and refuse to do anything.

Last year I invited a person to ride with me and all the way along she complained that Sunshine was not what she expected. She wasn't polished like the horses all of her friends had. 
Her friends had show quarter horses, and she rode in their arenas. I imagine that compared to them, Sunshine was a bit of a brut. 

The only training I have done is giving them ground manners and riding manners. We need to get from point A to B safely and the rest is just noise. They go right and left when asked, unless they don't feel like it. They back up and step forward on verbal commands. They are polite with their ground manners and allow me to pick their feet while they are loose in the pasture. 
They come when called.
And their Whoa is impeccable.

These girls are not perfect, but they are reliable. Siera and Sunshine have taught kids to learn to ride. Fred, who died last winter at 38 yrs old also taught kids and grand kids to ride. He even took care of  adult riders who had no idea of what they were doing.
Once Fred thought you should know your stuff, he'd challenge you. The perfect pony mule!



I guess we have been so very lucky with our mules. Below is a photo from the last time hubby rode. The kids convinced him that he could just go with them once. He never rode again, but this was a memorable moment. [He could still move around outside without oxygen.]

He is on Mica, the grey mule, grandson Dennis is on Fred, Ariel is on Siera, and I am on Sunshine. This was 5 years ago this month. 





I do miss having the grands here to ride, however, I only have Siera and Sunshine as riding mules now. The grands have jobs and come to visit maybe once a year.




6 comments:

  1. She looks a bit like a Llama in the first photo! I don't know what more you could want from a horse or a mule than how yours behave. Very nice photo of them all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are pretty perfect with their idiosyncrasies, just like me. Steady in all situations except perhaps Monster Strollers and Killer Bikes? They are just fine. No strollers in the forest!
      :)

      Delete
  2. I really think I have the same temperament as your mules. And I am getting worse the older I get. They are sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah hah! Just means you do think about things! LOL!

      Delete
  3. I have heard from my parents for years the quote "stubborn as a mule" and I always thought they must have some behavior that wasn't cooperative. Yet you do have them trained and you do know their quirks to make them good workable animals. I enjoy hearing about the different ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great old photo of the group. Boy Siera's ears are long!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.