Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Goal Review with Coach Josh

I've really had a hard time staying motivated for going to the gym lately. I need those workouts to keep my mobility and strength in good form.

There have been a few mornings that I haven't felt so great and others where I just decided I had too much going on. I feel guilty sometimes leaving Rich home to watch out the window and nap. I feel guilty on planning a short trip to see my son. 

Josh asked me pointedly "How does Rich feel about it?"

My answer enlightened me. "Unconcerned. He tells me to have fun."

What are my goals for this summer? 
Me: Do the KVR Trail Challenge again be the first to do it back to back. Take time to visit my son. Another goal was to camp out one night at KVR.

A goal next year was to hire someone to keep and eye Rich while I take a 4 day backpack/hiking luxury vacation in Arizona or perhaps the Pacific Northwest. Another goal was to do more photography for the local track team [I enjoyed IT that much!]

How does that have anything to do with being at the gym? 
Well, in my mind it has a lot to do with it.

Without  consistent workouts, I can lose the ability to do so many things I do around the farm. 
Like shoveling manure, pounding fence posts, or doing the easy things we don't even worry about. Like picking something up off the floor without the fear of falling.
Getting up from sitting on the ground without help.
Standing up from a chair without having to use the table for assistance.

Balance. 

Mobility.
Bone Strengthening.
Cardio.
The social aspect is incredible also. Working out with others makes for a great social gathering.
We sweat and laugh together.

So for the summer, I hope to be going to the gym for classes mostly at 6am. I'm up so early anyway. Why not beat the heat and go and get my day started.

That still leaves time for exploring KVR and gardening, caregiving, cattle rustling, mule riding, . ..

Coach Josh asked if I'd be at the Murph which is a CrossFit challenge done each Memorial Day as a fund raiser. You can read about it here: About the Murph 

The Murph


A word about the Murph. It can be scaled back so everyone can do some form of it. Our gym has this each Memorial Day along with a cookout in which the gym members and their families show up and bring a dish to pass. 

Josh asked if I was coming and I told him about my out of town company. He challenged me to make my action figures do a Murph. I laughed at that silly suggestion. ...

Well. Okay!

 Lil' Bear decided he'd have one for all of his friends just like one at the gym.

These guys chose to run 
through the gardens!


Air Squats on 
the porch.


Group push ups.


Post Murph pot luck dinner
with family and friends.


I plan on doing this next year with the modifications of course. 

After all, my action figures didn't seem to have a problem with it!


The money raised also goes to a great cause.





6 comments:

  1. Nicely thought out and taken Murph photos. Your coach sounds like a great guy & knows you well. I have no idea how you do it all...you are way more motivated than I am. No doubt you will achieve all your goals, and more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle a lot some days with leaving home so there is that. But I feel finally like I am getting some of my Mojo back. Tomorrow is going to be hot! So Charlie and I are going to hike KVR at dawn! Should be interesting!

      Delete
  2. Living out the event with action figures is so cool. Don't feel guilty about having time for yourself. It sure does balance out with all that you do for another. I can't drive through big cities anymore but I want to go the north shore again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which shore is that? The north shores of WI? I want to go there also. Just haven't been able to get away.

      Delete
  3. You have a well-thought plan. I am impressed by your vigor and your persistence. The action figures got it down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep on keeping on Val! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.