Monday, February 27, 2023

What Challenges do you face?

 


How about doing a the Trail Challenge with a toddler? We took Aiden with us yesterday -- Charlie too. This little guy will turn 2 in a few months. 

At one time I was told that Charlie was too tiny of a dog to accomplish something like the Trail Challenge of 59+ miles. We did it.
A week ago, as I was hiking with Olive on one of our uncharted adventures, I mentioned the Trail Challenge. She mentioned that her hubby and she wanted to do some serious backpacking with Aiden this coming year.

What better way to get in shape but to hike locally on tough trails? When she got home, she printed up two copies of the 2023 Trail Challenge. One for her, one for me. 
I think I said something about trying this Challenge back to back one time. But I think I was kidding.

Now I am not.  

I suggested a trail hike on Sunday morning while the snow was still crisp but the temperatures still fairly mild. I asked if she'd like to bring Aiden along and we could put him in a sled and pull him on the snow. The answer was yes.
Olive negotiates coming down a steep
hill with Aiden in the sled.




The little adventure was a win for everyone. 


Charlie got to hike and enjoy a nice long walk, 
Aiden got to ride in a sled and play in the snow. 
Olive and I got to do the girl talk thing, and Olive's hubby got a break from the little guy! 
Aiden enjoyed the weather so much that when mom tried convince him to 'come along' he did this...


And...this:

I think he was telling us to...
Stop
And

Enjoy.

You just can't be in a hurry with little people along. 



I guess we/I are/am doing the Trail Challenge again. So here we go...


The Yellow was intentional and the pink line was an exploration to see if the ponds by the bird viewing area still had ice. The ponds were still iced over. But we still finished one more tiny section.

We had seen two swans on the Kickapoo River on our drive to the Reserve.

Happy Challenges!

10 comments:

  1. Your energy leaves me standing! Such ambitious plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't have the bounding energy I used to have, I need goals or I won't be so active! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:11 PM

    So glad that you have some buddies that enjoy the same things! Aiden is adorable and Charlie is a real trooper! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Charlie would ride in a sled:) Good for you doing the Challenge again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have tried having him ride in a sled or wagon. He'll only do it if I'm hanging onto him tightly. He prefers being on his own feet, or me carrying him if he is tired or hot.

      Delete
  4. The little guy was a joy to be around. He has his own way of enjoying the snow. It was a fun hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a parent, I struggled to let the kids just do things in their own time. Now I know better!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome and perfect for all of you to share a KVR Trail Challenge together! The photo opportunities and experiences will be plentiful & different. You will stay busy & happy with your new challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you all had lots of fun. I'm afraid you would need to pull mean the sled to do this trek!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.