Saturday, April 10, 2021

No April is complete without a visit to...


Duck Egg County Park


Everywhere the spring plants were poking up through the leaves due to the warm temperatures we'd had. I imagine the rain we had helped the plants burst forth also.

Blood Roots


 Dutchman Breeches
Hepatica




No fancy photowork here, just trying to document the flowers for comparison to their emergence in the last few years. 
Conclusion.
Weeks early!

False Rue Anemone with Blood Root in the way!


In the last few years I've found the Dutchman's Breeches and other flowers pictured here between the end of April and the start of May.

What I found most fun was using the 850nm filter which really only allows the camera to record in IR black and white. That means foliage is white and water is black!
I think it is wickedly cool.
The pines are white and the dead grasses are reflecting light. The water absorbs most of the IR light-waves and appear black which is pretty startling.



Lone Trout fisherman walking along the trail 
around the smaller of the two ponds.


The trees and trout fisherman reflecting in the water was really a neat catch.

The white areas are where the grass is turning green and leaves are budding in the trees. 
I like it.
Pretty wild looking and a different twist on black and white.

Today was boring. I reset several steel posts and built a lot for Sven and the Pony to do some trimming. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you found a lot of gorgeous Spring woodland flowers!! I should see if any are blooming in our prairie area. I missed most of them last year. My bulbs are blooming earlier than last year, in my garden beds and just starting in naturalized areas. Love the reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck Egg is a deep valley so it warms up quite a bit in the spring with the sunlight even if it is windy and cold. That said it is usually around then last few weeks of April that those flowers show up in my woods on the south facing hillsides. I need to go check too!

      Delete
  2. Wow lots of bloomers! Early too! Nice to see something blooming, I wish I had Dutchman's Breeches!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.