Friday, May 24, 2019

Yards and Gardens, Goat, Dog, Pony

I got the yard mowed again before I had to put pontoons on the mower! Well, I got most of the yard mowed. I left a section for the pony to clean up and did some manure raking by hand.
I couldn't mow the hill by the shed as it is steep and was still wet under the grass.

But my supervisors watched me carefully.

Charlie and Sven tied out so they can enjoy sunbathing 
together.
If Sven sees Charlie in the yard, he cries and Charlie
runs to be with him.


Charlie doesn't really need to be tied when he is with his Goatie friend. But since I had a huge mower out, it was a safety thing.

I have been calling Sven 'Goatie Goat' and he seems to not mind. I refer to Lil Richard as Pony and he doesn't mind. Charlie gives me a look when I call him Dog.

Later, my supervisors were bored...

An old picnic table top
serves as a place to
sleep.

Lil' Richard was in his area cleaning up around the machinery and the old Jeep which has finally been sold. I'll move him and then rake out the manure there. The next trouble spot are two places I can't mow. I could weed wack it. But I'll wack down the weeds he doesn't eat..

The mules moved to what will eventually... I hope, be a picnic area overlooking the ridge to the north. I just love to sit under the big old Box Elder and enjoy the view.

After my mowing and whacking, I decided to plant some flowers. I'd gotten marigolds for the right half of the porch and planted seeds on the left side with a mix of cosmos, zinnias, and sunflowers. Some of the sunflowers reseeded themselves so I will move them around when they are big enough.

I tried something different this year.



I picked up the logs from a tree that was cut down last year. It was hollow and I thought it would be fun to try planting stuff in them. I moved other logs to the Morris Garden to be used as holders for my pails with plants. It is fun to try and get a bit creative with plants and planters. 

I have one spot under the kitchen window that may need more color this summer. I may transfer some seedlings or pick up some more Marigolds. I never liked marigolds as a kid, but now they are fun and I love their late summer hues.

My bleeding hearts are doing well and as they fade out, the iris's will shoot up with purple. As the iris flowers fade, the Blazing Glories will burst into color.
After that the zinnias should show up along with the 4 oclocks.

I don't know that I will do a veggie garden this year. Seems I have a lot of vegetables left over from the abundant garden of last year. I still need to string the electric wire down by the creek. 

At least I am not running out of things to do.


5 comments:

  1. You are a busy woman! I tried flowers in pieces of wood they seemed to dry out real quick :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to soak the wood and see if that helps.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:13 AM

    You have been very busy. I would need hip boots to do anything outside until we get a few days with no rain. The flowers in the stump look so nice, I hope wetting rhe tree works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it doesn't do will I will just transplant the flower I have in it. I put hen and chicks in the others. So they should do fine as the hen & chicks seem to thrive even on rocks!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:32 AM

    Good idea with the stump. I'm going to copy that idea. Im envious of the supervisors!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.