Monday, January 21, 2019

Walk on the wild side

I read the forecast and it isn't a nice one for those who dislike cold. The current temperature at noon was 7 degrees and sunny. There was a wind chill but I wasn't on the ridge so I didn't plan on getting too worried about it.

I carefully layered my clothes and put on my outdoor gear. Charlie protested from his crate. He was quite upset. However, I didn't want to take him down along the creek in such cold weather. His low profile would mean his chest would get wet if he got into water. I wanted to explore the latest snow fall and freeze without the distraction of carrying a dog.

I grabbed an odd colored extra long summer scarf thingy and wrapped it around my neck. I'd gone with a black face mask, stocking cap, and hoody to keep my head warm. I opted for my over the glasses sunglasses to protect my eyes from the cold breeze instead of my goggles. Note to self...Goggles next time, they keep more of my face warm!

I actually got too warm more than once and had to pull the mask down and the hood off. The sun was strong down in the valley and when I was out of the wind it was quite comfortable.

I planned a hike because there was not much I could do about the skidsteer and the tire situation on a Sunday.



And so I started off.
Interesting to note that I took a pocket camera and my Olympus camera.
I think next cold snap I hike, I will just take the tiny pocket camera.

My tracks.... and snow bombs off the trees

The photo above may be my favorite of the day.
I call it Tribbles.
Anyone recall The Trouble with Tribbles?
Old Star Trek show!
~~~~~~~~



So I did something a lot different here, I just grabbed several photos and uploaded them into a short 1 minute video. If you wish to look at it...

I thought I'd try it this way and see what happens.
I also made the music on Dell Music Maker. It isn't great but it will do.


Besides, it is -10 outside and I am waiting a bit for the sun to peek over the trees before I go out to do chores this morning.

Then it is a trip to town to see about the skidsteer tire and grab some groceries.
I have no idea if we'll be able to put things back together on this cold tonight.

Late tonight we are going to have freezing precip and then snow fall up to 6 inches and possibly more.

What bad timing I guess for a breakdown. However, at least I am not in a hurry if I get my town things done today ... to go anywhere for the rest of the week.

It may mean skipping CrossFit, but I know ol man winter likes to give us a 'What To' once in a while this time of year anyway.

If you view the video, thanks. If not, that is okay too.

Looks like this week will be an interesting one.

I also got Rich to agree to going to our local clinic to see if we can get into some OT or PT locally for his bum knee. It will fall solely on Medicare, but I think it would be better to travel 10 miles one way than 90 miles for something like PT/OT if it can help him.

I do know that those folks at Vernon Memorial are miracle workers. 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 AM

    A great way to take care of yourself with the wonderful walk. Good for you bothbody and soul. Good luck with the local PT. Virtual warm hug going your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Walking along the frozen tundra seems to always bring me peace of mind and I don't think of all the things that *Need* doing. It is a great mental break.

      Delete
  2. Cool video! Yes I recall the Tribbles on Star Trek! perfect! Yes we are to get more snow today also. Fun in winter :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those formations and instantly Tribbles came to mind. In truth, I had to look up Tribbles because I don't know how it popped into my mind! Stay warm!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.