Wednesday, September 30, 2026

It is wet

Two weeks ago we had up to 7.5 inches of rain. It was so rainy and wet I couldn't mow much of the yard and between the heavy dew point and moisture in the ground, it looks like I'll wait quite a bit again. That is okay, gas saved I guess. I'll stake the pony out in different areas so he can do some trimming and fertilizing.

Last night through tonight we could get dumped on again. 

That means that I'll be doing indoor stuff for the next couple of days. Our last rainy days, I purged and cleaned and moved furniture. I completely emptied an old hutch and cleaned the windows on the doors and pulled out all the drawers and went through them.

I did find a some surprises, but now it is clean inside and out along with cleaning the wood on the wall behind it. 

I pulled out the washer and dryer from their cubbyhole and cleaned the vent that connects to dryer to the outside including the floor under the machines.  I pulled out the frig and did the same. 

My rainy day project was to start going through the kitchen cabinets and start to sort and find new homes for plates and cups I don't need. 

And then there is always photo projects to do to keep me distracted. One of our photo club assignments is to shoot something in the fall or Halloween Spirit.


That means more Still Life and some of it may be a bit Spooky.

Doing some of this photography may be as close to decorating for Halloween. 





This is NOT scary. 
This was from yesterday's hike with the dogs in our forest.

I brought one of the stick houses I made and thought that it was time to bring Tasha the nice witch back out.



Here are some cute warty pumpkins that were 'pasture' grown by accident because I threw the old pumpkins out into the pasture and the mules planted the seeds for me. They are decorating the porch.
It seems the warty ones cross bred with the long ones...
how fun is that?

Hint. I've been doing this for years and have enjoyed the 
strange looking pumpkins I get each year. No two plants are the same from crossbreeding.





11 comments:

  1. I love the warty pumpkins. I should be doing some of that kind of deep cleaning. But I really only have one closet that might host some surprises. This will be the third move in 2 years so I don't have much extra anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, when I moved here all I owned was in a two horse trailer. My horse on one side and a dresser on the other side. In the back seat and trunk of my car were all of the other things I owned.

      Delete
  2. It seems to be the nature of rain these days that there is too much or none at all. The climate crisis is upon us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The UP of Michigan will suffer greatly if they don't get good snow, their economy will suffer quite a bit.
      The crisis is here.

      Delete
  3. It’s an appropriate post for the beginning of October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, that cracked doll head is so spooooky!

    I love your homegrown pumpkins!! Warty ones are the best, unless carving. I stopped carving and even buying pumpkins a few years back. Now I get a small bag of gourds. The wartier the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toss the pumpkins before the spoil and the mules love eating them and planting the seeds so I never know where I will find them in my woods.
      I have planted the warty gourds once too and loved them.
      Yeah, that cracked head is my favorite!

      Delete
  5. Those are OUTSTANDING warty pumpkins! Love the spooky B&W photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "pumpkin patch" is amazingly impressive :-))
    I love your witch Tasha and her witch's cottage—so lovely.
    I’m also currently tidying up my cupboards—taking it easy and doing one shelf at a time... it’s not my favorite chore, but it’s useful and feels good once it’s done.
    Sending you a hug.
    And warm regards,
    Viola

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.