September seems to be a great month of colors and moods that stretch through October. Fall is a fleeting time filled with shorter daylight hours and changing weather.
If you live in the Midwest I can safely say that most of us admire and 'chase' colors and light or at least do some Leaf Peeping.
When I was in the UP, the colors were already changing. I'd love to make more trips, but the drive is about 6 or more hours for me.
I am happy with September here around our place. We have so many mornings that are fog filled.
Deep morning fog at the south pasture.
This was morning fog clearing from the east as the sun came over the ridge. I happened to point the camera towards the east and noticed I could get a shot of the leaves lit up by the sun. I moved slightly and got this instead.
The Orb Weavers are still at work in the large eastern meadow. The one small maple tree is there but turning bright colors.
What can I say, more meadow shots with ground fog. Some of the trees in the distance look like they are turning colors, some are and some are dying from the damage done by logging. Still, it is a pretty beautiful sight.
In other areas, there is usually large groups of horseback riders so I just picked a trail that is not very popular.
Charlie was in great form. The temperature was under 70 F and he trotted right along as if he were in charge.
It is rough, rocky, full of roots to trip on and steep.
Oh. And it is quite beautiful.
There are a couple of spots on the ridgetop that give you a view of the Kickapoo River Valley. The colors were simply beautiful.
Our goal was Hanson's Rock Lookout. The log is set there for people to enjoy sitting and looking down on the valley. In an area not photographed, there is a highline for people with horses to tie up so they can take a breather and have a picnic or just enjoy the scenery.
The view:
We sat here, well, okay I sat on the log and the dogs explored scents. Below the outlook is a long and winding trail that is well used. We could hear a horse below us in the valley whinny and faintly hear someone saying something.
It was 'treat' time. I had a granola bar and the dogs had treats and water from their collapsible bowl. Hannah was satisfied to hang out. Charlie started to whine. It is his way of saying, *Let's get moving!*
We explored and stopped often to look at things and they stopped often to sniff interesting scents. I only wish I could smell a portion of what they scent. It tells them so much about the world around them.
Oh yeah, Fall/Autumn is showing off her beauty. I do wish that it would stick around a bit longer than it really does.












Fog lends an air of mystery to everything, doesn't it!
ReplyDeleteFog does exactly that. I do love its sense of quiet and stillness also.
DeleteIt does come and go quickly.
ReplyDeleteI came across two Spanish Greyhounds yesterday -- I had to ask. They are retirees. The most recent arrival (from Spain) was extremely nervous, so I kept my distance.
Ahhh. There was some suspicion that Hannah was Rat Terrier and Italian Greyhound but I think she is just a fun mix of a dog no matter what she is. Her mom was Rat Terrier, that we do know.
DeleteGreat photos! We have had foggy days, too. The maple trees are starting to change color. I do love this time of year.
ReplyDeleteYes, any relief from the the summer heat and then by February we are wishing for Spring or Summer! LOL!
DeleteI do love the fall colors.
LS....The fog is beautiful. Some people wait for hours to capture scenes like yours. The fall colors are great to see. I bet you will return to see the brighter colors and the whole forest will be very colorful. I always enjoy seeing the dogs doing thrir things.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do love the valley fog here. Thankfully I enjoy living in a place that provides many opportunities.
DeleteNice early Fall hike! We will also be enjoying local-ish colors this year. Leaves are just starting to turn here, with an occasional bright full colored stand-out tree. I always wonder why that one tree turned early.
ReplyDeleteFun season for photography.
It is, too bad we keep getting rain and rain and more rain! But I hope to be on the trails again this week.
DeleteYou have me wanting to jump up and go outside to see the colors. We are a few weeks behind you. We will start getting hints of color next month and it may be fully Thanksgiving before we are in it's height. For now, I will just bask in having my windows uncovered so I can see the light.
ReplyDeleteThat will be nice! At least your winters are warm, right?
DeleteWhat a beautiful fall day - the colors, the temperatures, the sights. And Hannah and Charlie - could not be more perfect!
ReplyDeleteIt was perfect, thank you.
DeleteThe colours are getting very vivid here. I see it every year but it never ceases to be fabulous.
ReplyDeleteIndeed! I do love the colors!
DeleteYour fog is pleasantly spooky. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDelete