My youngest son Jer, came to visit this weekend. He didn't have his other children so he and Mari came to see me.
We spent the first part of his visit moving a deer stand and dismantling part of it. I wanted a view from the 'campground' in the forest that was only about 8 feet off the ground. On these cool mornings, the deer will come out in the meadow that is east of us. I like to sit there with my long lens and 'deer watch' in the hour before sunset and the hour after sunrise.
Over the years, I've gotten lucky and have been able to catch a few nice photos of deer. If I don't get the shots, it will still be a neat place to observe mornings and evenings.
Two years ago [not on a deer stand] but standing on the ground:
We finished that project and we went to Wild West Days in Viroqua. Years ago, they built an 'old' Western town across from the Fairgrounds. For 20 years on the second weekend in August they fill the buildings with vendors who dress up in period clothing.
There are fake shoot outs and fun activities for kids.
On the other half of the WWD's grounds, they have rodeos and horse competitions. Barrels, poles, pig wrestling, cattle sorting, roping, and so forth.
The weekend event draws huge crowds and quite a few tourists to town. This past Saturday they had the Farmer's Market, Wild West Days, and live bands playing on a street that is closed off for people to gather and dance.
The grounds are also leased out for other events including a 'Christmas Town' with the western town all decked out in Christmas lights and vendors in all the shops.
There are also horse shows and competitions on the rodeo grounds at other times of the year.
Viroqua was a 'dying town when I moved to the area. It is hoppin' now.
Mari got a ride on a mini donkey and a cart ride too. She was infatuated with the donkeys.
This couple with the donkeys were so patient and sweet with the children that came to see them.
We talked about donkeys of course since I've raised them and have always admired them.
We came back home to chill out for a bit and eat an early supper. I had saved a little Lego project for when kids visited. Mari dove right in to it and actually did a great job at following the directions. She needed help once in a while. It kept her busy.
Towards evening, we headed out to the 'campground'. We used the 4 wheeler and cart to bring out the camp cot and sandwiches along with refreshments.
Sunday was another whirlwind of sorts.
Below is the view of the meadow/old pasture that is south of the house. I had contracted Patrick who did forest mulching for me this spring, to brush hog the pastures for me twice a year to keep weeds down.
I lifted an old water tank and shoved it onto the old bed as my son said, "Mom, are you sure there are no evil critters under there?"













It all sounds great until the end, and your planning has everything in hand, I think.
ReplyDeleteI've finally got a target date for the de-construction of the busted garage. It was a fantastic weekend.
DeleteSo thankful you only got stung once. A friend of ours was stung over 300 times s two weeks ago and had to be hospitalized for two days. Thankfully, he has since recovered. Your place is looking great! RHill, TX
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful weekend -- except for the ground bee sting!
ReplyDeleteHmmm, thanks! It was a fun weekend.
DeleteWow! You have been busy. But I'm glad you enjoyed yourself too. The Wild West Days sounds like something my children would have enjoyed back in the day. Hope the bee stings are healing. I've heard they are good for arthritis, but I've never wanted to give it a try.
ReplyDeleteI don't think these bees' venom are any good for anyone. My ankle swelled up to twice its size and it is still rather painful and swollen two days later.
DeleteLD...That busy was a great lot of fun for your busy. The campground idea is so wonderful and the young one will always remember that. A deer blind will be fun for lots of things.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend! Too bad the bees attacked you. Love the camp photos! Lori
ReplyDeleteGround bees are common in August and I just didn't think about it too much since I haven't encountered them for a few years.
DeleteOH NO - what a fabulous visit and fun with Mari. The Wild West adventures sound really great. And all the progress on getting your land just the way you want it - and then the darn bees!!!! OUCH. I'm so sorry and hoping you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI learned once more to look before leaping! Old machinery are the favorite spots for these kind of bees to hide in for a while in August.
DeleteCamping with the littles, at least until midnight or so, sounds magical. Sorry about the bees!
ReplyDeleteSeems like a great weekend other than the bee sting - and that is no fun! I hope you have healed completely from it.
ReplyDeleteWorking on the healing!
DeleteWell, that was a wild end to a busy weekend! Ouch. Your place is really shaping up. I'm betting this feels great.
ReplyDeleteIt was and I was miserable yesterday still --> Tuesday so I read a book.
DeleteToday is much better with just an angry red mark that is fading as my body deals with the 'venom' and the healing.
It has been about 20 yrs since I've been stung by one of these buggers!
I've never heard of ground bees, but I'm not on a farm in Kansas. Are the doggies gonna go 8 feet up into the deer stand? hmmm, they could bark and scare them away. Try a claritin (loratidine) an non-drowsy antihistimine for the swelling if you don't want to be sleepy. 25mg is usual strength of Benadryl; 50mg is what's in that commercial of the sleeping drooling man. Might want to consider a doc visit for possible secondary infection. Hope the doggies and little humans didn't get stung. Are you sure it was a bee and not a snake bite? Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteYes, sure it wasn't a snake bite when you can see the bees!
DeleteI am keeping an eye out on the ankle and it isn't swollen today and the redness is easing up.
The dogs don't go with me when I am watching the meadow for deer. They have a tendency to bark at the deer. After breakfast they nap and I go watch. :)
I'm done with the antihistamine now only took it twice so all is good there.