Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Wow what a day!

 Here is my Foodie Photo / Foto.

I never 'present a dish' but I am not knocking those who do because...well, I AM jealous because you folks that cook and make beautiful dishes are awesome. 

I decided to decorate Fred's morning meal. Fred is a pony mule who is 37 years old. He is retired and now gets special grain mixed with alfalfa pellets that are softened. I bring it in and let it soak. I had some cut flowers that I was going to toss out. 
Instead, I decorated his meal.



Yeah. Hubby rolled his eyes and shook his head. Why not though? Fred was/is probably the only reason we met each other so many years ago. I admired the little mule and recalled the man telling me his name was Fred.

I didn't recall the cowboy dude's name for most of the week we rode together. But I recalled the awesome little tough mule he rode.

Fred was at our wedding. He was best mule.

The farrier was to show up at noon and I got Rich up from his nap so he could visit with them while I got out ol' Fred and cleaned him up.



The father son farrier team has been with us since 2017. They always make the appointment with us so that they can spend extra time visiting with Rich. They also come out once in a great while during the months they aren't so busy to sit and chew that fat with Rich.

I couldn't catch Rich's old mule Mica later on, so I left a pen open and got our little pony for a trim. Rich walked out and told me he'd go catch her. He was annoyed that I didn't run around the pasture to chase her down.

As I predicted, the old mule walked right into the catch pen as soon as I was busy with something else and she waited until Rich walked in and haltered her. He was quick to point out that HE caught her.

We all watched with our mouths wide open in amazement. 

I murmured something to the affect that I thought all the exercise he was doing during his PT appointments were obviously paying off well. Chalk one up for exercise!


I took over for him after the Danny finished her first hoof so he could sit down on a stool they'd put in the truck just for Rich. [What thoughtful people they are!]

The guys finished up and then stayed to visit. 

I got a text from Daryl the hay guy who said he would be by in the late afternoon with our winter hay. Daryl is a kind soul. Rich used to go get the hay from Daryl, but since his stroke, he doesn't drive and we never have to wonder too much where we will get hay from. Yes, it costs more to have it delivered, however, it gives me peace of mind to know I can depend on him as a source each year.

Daryl and Rich visited. Rich complained about the price of hay. Daryl reminded him of how much he loved watching his mules and was that worth the price? 

There was a discussion about brush hogging the pasture. Daryl pointed out that he could probably have the pasture brush hogged twice a year for about 15 years for the price of the one he'd pay for his skid steer.


Rich moved the bales into the shed, never missing a beat and had them all stacked up neatly for me to feed out this coming year.
Charlie and I took down a temporary fence that we'd put up for the summer near all the old 'stuff' parked in the weeds.




With all that done, Rich said he was exhausted.

He had to be! All day he had to be sociable!


It was amazing, he laughed, he told jokes, he caught a mule. He wrangled the skid steer and 20 huge square bales. 

All in a day's work.


6 comments:

  1. Hay is a large expense. I use about 1200 sqs and 50 round bales a year. It's good news Rich was able to be active, he must have been pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole post made me smile. As a farm boy we worked with animals all of the time. Pigs were not animals that could be directed and my dad go so mad. Your mule was just too curious to not come back to see what was going on. Again I smiled. Moving hay is hard work. I am glad you didn't have to do it and someone else was able to do it. I am glad you got it all done through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:00 PM

    What a great post and special day for Rich. Love the story of Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing of a day <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:16 PM

    I love watching farrier videos. They make it look so easy. And even though I have never owned a horse, I still find them fascinating. mus be cool watching them live in real time. ( why does the horse/mule never kick them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they do get kicked at, however that doesn't happen with mine because we've always worked with them so they are comfortable and used to having their feet handled.
      Farriers will stop visiting farms with nasty animals.
      The father had his arm shattered with a rank horse and it took months for him to heal. So he doesn't take chances.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.