Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Solstice HOT

 


Here we are at the summer Solstice. I try like heck to get out each 'event' of the year and try like heck to take a photo of the sunrise at least.

Over the years I've had lots of fond memories of things done with others on the Solstice nights. At times, I've gone with neighbors and children to a spot on the ridge where we lit Chinese Lanterns to celebrate the end of the day.

Other times I've had friends stay and we've delighted in hiking in the forest with the magic of fireflies around us.

At 4:13 AM CDT, I stood on the ridge and celebrated the midsummer morning. I am weird right? 

That's fine, I can live with weird.

I'm going to borrow a quote from James Norbury's book Big Panda and Tiny Dragon:
'I wish this moment would last forever' said Tiny Dragon
'This moment is all there is' said Big Panda.






[I've always wanted to do this-- 👆 -- I did use a little
creative leeway btw. But it turned out cool.]

I had to share this moment with myself but still, it was peaceful and awesome. Even the pesky gnats agreed as they tried to feed off from me.


I went home and rinsed out the smaller stock tanks and gave everyone fresh cool water.

By 7AM, my friend Molly came to our house on foot rather upset. Her very elderly dog had disappeared. I calmed her down with some coffee on the porch and then we set out in the 'Ru to notify all the ridge neighbors who don't have cell phones or internet. All the farmers reported back to me after they'd done haying all day with no reports of sighting the aged dog. 

Charlie and I spent some time on our porch working on the old table.



I just grab colors that appeal to me and add them here and there. We will see if it is a disaster or it ends up neat. I have an idea for the top of the table, but haven't figured out how to get it done quite yet.

By late afternoon, we retreated indoors.
I stayed up to watch the sunset and for the fireflies to appear.

I think tonight [Wednesday] seems like a good night to go out and photograph the Milky Way and Fireflies, depending on the skies.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful images. I think you have a delightful tradition and a landscape to match. I sure hope the old dog is found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sign of the dog, but she was very old, very sick, deaf, and mostly blind. I think she may have gone off to die on her own. I hope the family is able to find her though, hopefully alive too.
      But after yesterday's heat and temps, I have my doubts.

      Delete
  2. Great tradition & your sunrise photos are stellar!! Dogs & cats are known to wander off when it is there time, or so they say. How does anyone ever really knows the reason. Regardless, it is sad. Hopefully coyotes didn't get the poor old guy. That was nice of you to help Molly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything, the heat got to the dog, no matter, it is sad that it happened. I rarely turn down anyone who needs help.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:48 PM

    More SPECTACULAR photos! It was nasty hot here today, and so muggy! Any news on the dog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the dog was found, I hate to say it but often older dogs will go off by themselves to die quietly on their own terms...It is an instinct some have that is very strong...we had a Scottie/ Mutt that had that instinct and if we had not had a fenced yard she would have hidden, she hid in the window wells.
    Poor Molly I bet she feels badly.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.