Monday, October 21, 2019

A Wee Break

Charlie and I did end up going for an afternoon hike. A very long one. I left my cell phone at home and packed some snacks for the two of us.
Dog treats and granola bars along with water of course.

The auction for my MIL's collectables and apartment 'stuff' was going to be held on Saturday and I'd promised a friend I'd go with her.

I really enjoyed the time just wandering without looking at a clock. The sunlight came through the thinning leaves of gold on the trail that lead to the back valley.
I didn't feel compelled to try to photograph the scene as I knew I'd never capture the smells and the golden light properly. I just wanted to wander with Charlie and enjoy our time away from phones, doctors, emails, and appointment reminders.

I didn't get to do my CrossFit intramural workout scheduled and I felt badly about that, so I decided to put that out of my mind also.

When Charlie and I got into the back valley, we spent a lot of time watching small trout swim in a rocky pool. I got out the infrared camera and took some photos.



Both of us decided not to follow the creek downstream as the water was too deep in spots for me to cross without getting soaked. I would need my knee high boots for that.
Charlie wasn't really thrilled about swimming across either.
We headed back up to the ridge and found that the sky was amazing. The clouds were amazing.


There is tiny Charlie looking up at the 'world'. To be so small yet so brave. He is a wonder.


So our ridge walk around the corn field did not disappoint us at all.

Funny thing happened on the way up the trail. I stopped and gave Charlie a treat and then had a granola bar while I re-arranged my back pack. I glanced to my right and stared into a low slung trail camera. I took off my hat and waved before shouldering the back pack and heading up to the ridge. That was the second camera I'd seen. This is my absent neighbor's land and he does come once a year to hunt on it. I've got permission to wander to my heart's delight on the land, but won't step foot on it during the 9 day deer/gun season. That is when the land is overrun by insanity.

Most of the year, I have the 'land' to myself and the critters. In the spring the 4 wheeler guys are around every weekend making a racket, but I just enjoy the place during the week days when they aren't around.

Someone had mowed around the fields and set up cameras. I just wave if I see one and continue on my hikes. The cameras will disappear by the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I had a notion of dressing up in a Halloween Costume and dancing near the cameras.


We made our way back home slowly. I was in no hurry. I longed for those days that I could stay out on the ridge until the sun set.

I knew I should not have gone off and hiked when I had so much to still do in the shed, but I figured I needed a break from that too.

Saturday promised rain all day. Sunday was supposed to be nice, the rest of the week? Cold and rain.
All good days to work in the big shed.


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Very smart to enjoy the peace of the walk. The shed work will be there longer than the nice days. Besides focusing on our self care often comes hard to women, so congratulations for taking care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ...not many people understand the need for self care of course unless they are in the position of a caregiver.

      Delete
  2. Barnee6:05 PM

    The weather here has been beautiful. I've been doing outside work as much as possible. Took my horse to get his shoes pulled this a.m. sure sign of winter! I'll still ride him barefoot just have to avoid the Stoney roads. I enjoy the pics of Charlie, cool doggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Charlie is fun. Our mules are pretty much barefoot all the time, we have gravel roads but try to ride on the sides of them. I mostly ride around here so shoes aren't necessary like when we used to ride all over the place. Happy Trails!

      Delete
  3. You had a good break! Charlie looks so little in that photo! He is good for you! I hope the auction went well, it is still rainy and cold here the weekend may be nicer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I finally got around to taking some photos of the items I got at auction.

      Delete
  4. Those are some beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.