Friday, March 23, 2018

Conversations with Charlie


The sun was coming up. Charlie was snoozing in my lap as I had my second cup of coffee.
I remembered that I was supposed to run to the local gas station and grab some milk for breakfast.

I grabbed a camera and tucked Charlie under one arm and his little bed under the other. I was going to test how well Charlie liked to ride in the car. I hadn't had him in a car since I'd brought him home.

I was rather surprised that he actually sat in his little bed and watched me drive. I only had to push him back once.
I pulled into the station and locked Charlie in the car telling him to 'stay'. Oh, I know he had no idea what I told him. But I was rather surprised that he in fact was still sitting in his bed when I returned.

On our way back across the bridge, I stopped. This was one of my favorite places to watch the sun come up. The trees reflected beautifully on Blackbottom Creek.
I parked and took Charlie on leash over to the bridge. Some Canada Geese flew in and landed. Charlie looked up at me. The scene was breathtaking.
I took some photos and then picked up Charlie. He looked up at me.
"Charlie, wasn't that the most amazing thing you've ever seen?"

Well, Charlie didn't really answer.

I talked to him as I drove home. I discussed the situation with Mom in Law and the Nursing Home, I told him about rehab and then I stopped on the ridge and told him about the Eagles soaring in the morning light. He was more impressed with the Eagles, I think.

I'd planned on going to the Kickapoo Valley Reserve in the afternoon. I couldn't leave Charlie at home. Rich was feeling tired and didn't want to deal with a puppy.

"Hey Charlie. Want to try another car ride? Want to go to the KVR ponds and watch waterfowl?"
I picked up his pet crate and Charlie suddenly took a keen interest in what I was doing.
"Is that a yes?"
Charlie trotted next to the crate.
He followed me along all the way to the Subaru. I gently picked him up and set him in the crate.

Rich had suggested that for a 20 minute drive, Charlie should be in the crate. What would happen if he suddenly jumped down by my feet while I was negotiating a nasty curve on 131. I hate to admit it, Rich was right.

Charlie was not happy with the arrangements. But he settled in after a few miles and was quiet until we reached KVR. I opened up the crate. Charlie wasn't sure of what to do.

I attached the cord and shouldered my back pack. I could hear more Canada Geese in the distance.

"Charlie. The guess are at the ponds. Let's go. Have you seen these guys? They are huge! I can't wait! How about you. I have treats and I brought water too for you.
Oops, there is a huge black mucky hole.
Let me grab you.
Hey, yup.
Okay."

I prattled on and on as we walked up the partially paved old 131 Trail. Charlie trotted ahead. Ahead I saw a lady walking towards us. We stopped so Charlie could greet her. Puppies are always worth conversation with strangers.

Charlie greeted the woman with wiggles and wags. She knelt down and pet him. He wiggled harder.

On we traveled. I told Charlie about the sky and the colors and how the world would change in just a month or so. There would be the sound of green leaves blowing in the warm breezes. The grass would be green, wild flowers would blossom. I told him to listen to the geese, they were going crazy.

We got to the pond. The geese were making a lot of noise. I sat on the bench and Charlie asked to sit in my lap. The sun was warm.

I sat at the edge of the blind in the sunlight.


I whispered to Charlie. And we sat quietly watching the geese.


We eventually left and headed back towards where I'd parked. I knew Rich would be waiting for our return.

Charlie and I talked about things. Nothing in particular, just things.
I think he listened.
No matter.
He won't tell on me. He won't disclose my secrets. Charlie is a good guy.

On our way back to the car Charlie greeted another photographer and we gave him directions to the 'blind'. Just before we got to the parking lot a class of 4th graders swarmed us. They were out with their teacher to see the spring birds.

Charlie was a champ. He didn't get too excited over all of the kids mooning over him.

I knelt down next to him when we got to the car.
He wagged his tail.

He went back in his crate for the ride home.

He slept. I drove.

Conversations with Charlie are one sided, but at least I feel like he is listening to me.
And that makes me smile inside and out.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he is a good companion for you, and the hikes should get him a little tired:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you are exposing Charlie to all of these adventures! I like conversations with my dogs best!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.