Monday, February 12, 2018

4th Annual Ice Hike~ Parfrey's Glen


Well, it was that time of year again. The Annual Ice Hike.

It started a few years ago when my friends took me to Parfrey's Glen just outside of Devil's Lake State Park near Baraboo.



Last year I drove in a rain/snow/sleet event to get to our annual "Ice Hike". This year? Well, I followed the events of a snow event that dropped about 4 or 5 inches of snow on my travel route. It made the drive a bit more interesting, but it wasn't too bad.

We went to Parfrey's Glen as our first stop in hopes of seeing Skillet Creek running over the rocks or some magnificent ice formations.
Well that wasn't to exactly 'be'.


As I slugged through the roughened snow trail, I thought how nice it would have been to have my snow shoes on.


This area never really is disappointing and it is always in a state of change with the weather. In places the creek was solid with snow covering the ice. I could hear the water running underneath us.

We probably shouldn't have come to the Glen so late in the day. But there we were, making our way upstream to the water falls.
However I thought it would be a good idea...
well, that didn't really pan out. 
I should have known how quickly it gets dark in these areas. After all, when I am at home I know it gets dark quickly in the deep valleys.

Things get quite tricky after you leave the "maintained" trail. 


It became obvious to me that my snow shoes although very handy for part of the trail would have been a real pain in the rocky boulders.


We reached the water falls at the end of the trail and did some exploring. It was obvious that the day light was fading fast.




The light in the gorge was fading but above us it was still sunny and bright.

We didn't want to have to scramble over the icy and snowy boulders in the dark so we headed back.
But not until we had some fun of course...

The danger of having another photographer around is that they will 
get that shot of you...that you don't want shown to the world.

Aren't those gloves just precious? 




And then, with the light fading, we headed back to the Subaru.

Oh yes. Waterproof boots are a great idea on this hike.

Saturday was going to be a busy day. We were going to see how many of the State Natural Areas we could explore.
We had one place in particular that we wanted to check out.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.