Monday, September 11, 2017

90 plus days later...


On May 6th Rich had a stroke. The professionals all said, "The first 3 months are the most important. You will see the biggest improvements during that time."


Speech is still an issue. Rich gets frustrated when he talks sometimes. Fatigue is his biggest enemy. Fatigue seems to short-circuit his ability to find words and express ideas.
Physically he is doing pretty good. We had a follow up with oncology last week and learned that his throat cancer had been a stage IV. When the doctor told us that I was rather surprised. I don't recall learning the stage. Perhaps it was mentioned but I guess we focused on treatment and not the diagnosis.
So far, 2 years after treatment and still no return of cancer which is another sigh of relief.

My plan for the summer was this. Keep Rich engaged. I saw how he reacted right after the stroke when people were around. I had to stay home now to help him.
My farm and home became something of a revolving door.

Grace and Evelyn for a week, Ariel for a week, Dennis and Ariel for a week. Visitors who came and stayed the weekend. Mule riding. Fishing.
But always time for speech therapy and rest too.


I posted this photo already once but feel it sums up so many things accomplished in 3 short months.

96 days ago he could speak only one word. He ate with his utensils upside down. He needed a nurse at his side to leave the bed.

We are still working with Speech Therapy to try to improve the effects of aphasia and are going to address the possibility of driving again with limitations.

I was asked if I missed my work place. Not really. I don't miss the hours at all. I don't miss getting up at 2am to work a 12 hour shift.
The garden has been productive. I have frozen, dried, and canned food for this winter. I have been able to dedicate some rather long days to 'putting up food' for the winter.


Rich helps with chores now. I let him take care of the cattle. We will be shipping several to auction before the winter and keeping a few prospects for 'processing' later.

Things are coming together. I am looking forward to the possibility of part time work as a teacher's aide at one of our local schools. We'll see how things keep progressing.

Winter is looming on the horizon and it will be a challenge to keep Rich engaged with activities through that time.

For now... things are peaceful. I still can't leave him on his own, but I don't mind being here for him either.
Through good and bad we keep chugging along.

Here is to the next 90 plus days...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.