Monday, October 05, 2026

Hannah/lost and found and more

Sunday morning I checked the weather and it looked perfect for another campout. I took the dogs with me to set up the tent, they saw my backpack and ran next to the car and sat.

I had to laugh and imagine me explaining that No, they were going to help me set up camp.



I usually struggle a little bit in putting up the tent, in the end, I get it done. Instead of using the rain cover, I tossed a blanket over the top vent to keep our body heat in overnight.

I turned around and there was only Charlie sitting on the old camp cot I have. No Hannah. So I called, whistled and hollered. I tried her 'beeper' collar. She always come running to that as it means she gets a treat or a pat on the head.

Nothing.

I grabbed Charlie and took him home on the 4 wheeler and put him in the house so I could run down through our woods and call for Hannah.

I spent 45 minutes calling and then realized that since we are surrounded by 600+ acres on the east and 200+ acres on the west, and hundreds of acres of fields and forest to the south and north -- she could have gone anywhere.

I stopped running around. Hannah knew the lay of the land. She'd either come to camp or go home eventually. When Rich and I would lose a hound while hunting, we'd take our coats off and lay them down at the last place we'd been with our hound. By morning, the hound would have made a bed of our coats and we'd pick him/her up.

I got back to the house to grab my chore flannel off the porch and check on Charlie. He was happy to see me and then he ran to the porch door. I asked if he had to go out when I heard a very quiet 'woof'. It wasn't Charlie.

Hannah was laying on my insulated flannel in the sunshine on the porch. I wanted to yell at her and tell her she was bad bad bad and wished she could tell me what happened. 

I didn't. She was so overjoyed at seeing me. She launched into wiggles and smiles. Yup, she draws up her lips while wiggling and shows her teeth in an awkward smile.

I hugged her and gave her a treat for being so smart as to come home and lay on the porch.

We eventually got back to the campsite and got set for an October camp. It was going to be a chilly night with temps dipping into the low 40's. I figured if we got cold, we could just walk home and go in the house.


We left at 5pm and spent quite a bit of time sitting on the old junk cot watching the fire and listening to the forest around us.



At sunset, I walked out into the meadow and took this shot looking east with the pretty pink clouds and the neighbor's meadow. The line of fog is actually smoke from my fire lingering in the woods far off.



Once it got dark, the temperature started to drop. That is when the first group of coyotes started to sing their hunting songs. Not too far off an owl started to call. It was a different call than the 'Who Cooks For You' but it was a Barred Owl --> I think.

The fire had burned low so I banked the coals and we retired inside the tent. It was only 7:30, I cracked open a book and started to read. My cohorts made a bed on my jacket and some blankets and seemed to be interested in what I was reading.


Around 8:30 I decided to check on things outside before calling it a night. I walked out with the dogs and had them do their thing while I looked at the stars.

I couldn't believe my lucky eyes. The Milky Way had not quite set yet. I kept the dogs collar lights on and grabbed my camera out of the backpack.

I thought that time had run out on seeing the Milky Way, however, it hadn't quite set yet.


I was so tickled and happy, I did a little jig and Hannah did one too. Charlie huffed and went into the tent to make his bed. Apparently he was not impressed.

I could see my breath in my headlamp so I know the temperature had dropped again. I thought I'd take a couple of night camp shots so I could remember our 'night out'.


So the night sounds we heard were really quite beautiful. We heard raccoons chirping in the forest. Yes, they do make chirping sounds! A buck not too far off was grunting which sounds hilarious. I am guessing he was chasing a doe who he thought was in heat.

We heard from the coyotes a few more times but they didn't come our way.
The coolest sounds we heard were from the Barred Owls or perhaps they were Great Horned Owls. The songs were odd but definitely an owl of some kind. It sounded as if a Barred Owl couldn't quite get it right and was trying to sound like an adult.

They kept at it every once in a while until nearly dawn. 

I enjoyed the night noises so much especially the owl 'talk'. It was one of the highlights of my night!


By the time 6am arrived, the dogs and I were buried under layers of blankets together. I got dressed and had to convince the dogs to leave their warm blankets and walk home with me in the predawn. 

We walked through our meadow towards home and listened to the group of Robins that were chattering. They were migrating through and gave us more 'songs' to enjoy on our camping adventure.

The outside temperature at the house was 38 degrees F. Hmmm. We survived!
And, I got a pretty good night's sleep!

[I also want to say that Hannah is a huge scent driven dog. She can track me if I hide from her, a playful trick I used to do to all of our hounds. Charlie doesn't have that sort of scent drive, but he has also learned to stay close over the past 8 yrs.]







22 comments:

  1. I found myself going through all kinds of emotions reading your post today, the one I felt when you found Hannah on the porch was total relief. Very happy for you that she was clever enough to find her way home. Yay Hannah! You have the sweetest four-legged companions. I would very much enjoy their company. Enjoyed each and every photo and reading about your camping trip was awesome. The Milky Way shot was definitely a wow moment. Thanks so much for sharing everything. Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that my heart was pounding and I was on the verge of hysteria which I almost never do. I once lost Charlie for an hour in the forest too and it was frightening. Until he came out from the underbrush and looked innocent.

      Delete
  2. Your night shots of the MIlky Way and the tent are both very good. Similar temperatures here right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I took a shot in almost the very same place on May 25th at 2am. The position of the MW was different. I think I am fascinated by the stars.
      I love that tent set up, it is a pain, but once up, it is comfortable.
      I also love that part of the woods.

      Delete
  3. The night sky with the Milky Way- Sensational!!!!!! WOW!!!!!
    I know that moment of fear. I turned and lost my oldest daughter when she was barely crawling. She was in the living room of our tiny apartment and then gone. I searched behind all the furniture and couldn't find her. Ran to the kitchen, ran to the bathroom, ran to the bedroom. Calling her name, searching frantically. Went back to the living room convinced someone had opened the door and snatched her. She was sitting in the middle of the floor and laughed. She didn't have words yet so I couldn't even ask her where she was while i searched. I believe she was hiding; she didn't make a sound!
    Glad Hannah made it home safely. You have her so well trained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We once had the whole neighborhood searching for my son Jeremie who had disappeared. Finally, I ran in the house and went to look for him in his bedroom.
      I found him under the covers on his bed sound asleep. He was 3 at the time.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen the Milky Way. Wow, it's amazing. I had basset hounds. They did love to scent. Hannah has looked like she smiles to me and you confirmed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MW takes a bit of work to recognize and dark skies of course. The camera sure can get a much clearer image of it than our eyes can.

      Hannah is a smiler. I think she knows it makes me laugh and melts my heart.

      Delete
  5. Clever Hannah! And your Milky Way photo is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is smart in ways I didn't know!

      Delete
  6. Glad the pup made it back to the den. That's the best! Tent is pretty darn cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she found home and was patiently waiting. Thanks, the tent is second hand. It is the first tent I've had and am learning how to set it up and make it comfortable.

      Delete
    2. I love when they come back to the den. The dog you read about on my blog. I don't recall how much I wrote there ... he was kept in a small kennel day and night. He didn't even know how to use stairs and when he walked on grass, we thought his eye site was off. Nopers. Just didn't know what grass felt like. So weird too, we'd never seen him. This is his third and final home. He's a keeper. Very, very, very sweet.

      Delete
    3. Than it was meant to be with him.
      Hannah came from an excellent Foster home .

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6:28 PM

    Wow! To the Milky Way shot and Hannah. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can almost hear the quiet....and the coyotes...and feel that crisp, cold air. How wonderful! I can also feel your 'panic' when Hannah was missing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once lost Charlie for about an hour too. But he eventually came when called.

      Delete
  9. I wanna be a dog and live with you! Now that would be the life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Well, they love doing chores with me so they do get up early!
      LOL. They are my pals so they do have a good life.

      Delete
  10. What a special night! There is so much beauty in the night. I haven't seen the Milky Way in a long time, but I can see Orion's Belt from my bed and the Big Dipper and North Star from the bathroom window (the only one on the north side of the house.) It always makes me smile.
    Glad that miss Hannah made her way home after her unscripted adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely night adventure. Cool method to get the dogs to return to your coats. (The babysitter lost my one-year old while i was out on a wonderful date. Returned immediately home and she'd found him hiding in the hall coat closet.) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I felt that I was there with you every minute of the night.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.