Wednesday, September 09, 2026

A Funny thing happened...

So like a lot of women I used to like going to the same person all of the time for cutting my hair. She had an idea what it should look like and usually followed my instructions. I've enjoyed her cuts for many years but as time goes on and on, getting an appointment with her is like pulling teeth.

Weeks out! Sorry hun, can't fit you in. I was a shaggy mess of nasty flopped over unruly outgrown short hair. 

I was desperate. I told her I might have to go to Great Clips where I could walk in. My hair girl gasped over the phone as I chuckled. My hair gal suggested I plan ahead and make appointments ahead of time. I laughed as she knows me much better than that. I am a spur of the moment person on many things.

I thought about taking offense to that, but she knows I wouldn't take offense to that...but I kinda did in a small way.

Our town has quite a few beauty salons that I could choose from, but all of them are over the top expensive.

I mulled that all over after that phone call while waiting for Danny the Farrier to arrive.

Danny showed up late which is never his fault when the appointment before me added two horses to be shoed instead of the two that were scheduled.

Here he is trimming Sundance [yeah, I have to trim her mane and take out the briars!] Sundance had just rolled in the mud so she'd be beautiful for Danny.


Siera showed some stretching of the white line, we are hoping that it is showing up from her episode this spring. 




Since her bout earlier this year, she has been pretty good unless I let her out into a lush pasture. So she is on crap pasture and is doing fine. 

We'll keep an eye on that line and see if it starts to heal or get worse. I'm optimistic, the fall pastures will be less full of sugar and with a winter of hay rations, she should lose more weight and I'll be better prepared to not only exercise her, but to keep her on a lot where I can control what she eats.

Danny and I finished up and I set up another date so we can keep her on a schedule where he can asses her progress. She was an honest to goodness perfect mule for trimming and walked off as if she had no issues or pain. Siera is 23 year old.

When we were done we visited and then I made a decision. I was going for a drive and I was getting a hair cut. Not one like my regular gal wanted which is so classic of haircuts for over 70 ladies.

I went to Great Clips. I walked in and waited for the first available person. Apparently you can make appts with certain hair stylists. All of these gals were young and so full of energy! Happy, pleasant...and cheerful.

The girl put a wrap around me and said, "What do you want to do?"

I said short short. She asked a bunch of questions and she was curious about how much off. 

"Lots and get that back like...almost shaved off."

She was so surprised and then began to chop chop snip snip. 

"How's this for the back? I can use a size 16 clipper and make it a bit shorter or ... what?"

"Let's go with that," I replied, "My hair does seem to keep growing back. Besides I don't want to mess with that mess in the back. I hike, I work out, I'm in the woods, hair is the least of my worries!"

She laughed and went at it with the clippers.

I was soooooo happy with the cut. Happier than I've been with hair cuts for the past few years! My old hairdresser's gasp of horror was obviously not warranted.

When I went to check out she gave me the total of $22 and then said, "You're not a Senior are you?"

I chuckled and asked if 70 was considered being Senior. 

"Well you don't look Senior." 

She adjusted a discount for the haircut. I handed her a nice tip because, well, I had a blast and she did a great job. 

Plus she behaved like I wasn't an OLD person! [A nice little lie, but it worked!]

I don't want to fuss with my hair. I've had it long, medium long, short, very short, long short, and everything in between. I wanted different and I got it.

It will work well with my baseball caps, riding helmet, and winter hats. After all most of the time, I wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes.


Oh I can smile. I just rarely do it for selfies because my smiles can be crooked looking. There I am feeling so relieved of all that messy hair.

I used to be a free wheeler and more of an adventurer pre Rich. Then I became a homebody because he needed me.

I took off on a whim and that felt quite nice. Today, I'm taking the pups to Kristi's while I ride with her then we scoot off to LaCrosse for the appointment for my car. Subaru and dogs.

My dogs love visiting the Dealership. Afterwards we may go explore a hiking trail or go to Pet Smart for some fun.

More off the cuff adventuring for fun coming later this week.


Someone took the chain and ball off my feet!




4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Good for you! Glad you’re able to go on adventures as you please. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to suit you and your lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda smiled when you are willing to pre schedule mule trims but not Val trims! turned out to be a good thing with the young hairdresser who actually listened to what you wanted- looks good!
    Impromptu adventures are the best. We are too old to have to put up with regulating our lives, we had to do that for enough decades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hair! It is YOU! I'm glad you took the chance and went somewhere new!
    One of the reasons I didn't like my haircut in the spring was the stylist said - oh I cut it just like my Aunt Pam's. I don't know Aunt Pam but I bet she is an old lady like me and it is her standard old lady hair cut. Maybe this is a fairy tale in my head but that is the way I took it. Now I'm growing mine out to spite Aunt Pam.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.