Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Fall Beckons.....................




After fighting a gnarly cold from Sunday morning through Wednesday morning, I decided to go kick some stuffy head a$$. When I was in my 20's and 30's I was a distance runner. I'd get a head cold and wait until I could 'just' breath and then go running. Stupid, you know? But I always felt better after getting the 'juices' flowing.

So Wednesday morning after chores I grabbed a backpack and my two cohorts [dogs] ran to sit by my car. The vote was in. I could clean house, make the bed, and dust ----> or take off and do something fun. The weather was perfect in every single way that fall can produce.

The drive to the Reserve seemed to hold the promise of something beautiful.



But since I was still not recovered from the cold [think stuffy nose and stuffy head]. I decided we'd just take it slow when we hit the trails.

And we did. I took nearly an hour for our first mile. I strolled slowly letting the dogs trot ahead looking for interesting scents.


I took a maintenance trail that is almost never used. No bikes or equines are allowed there, but foot traffic is okay.

I know that last year I stopped and photographed this wild grape vine. I've always intended to come back and see it in the winter. Maybe this year.
It almost looks like some sort of alien creature!



The shot last year was much better, but I'll have to wait until later in the year to try it again!

Last year:


The bare branches of some of the young maples under the pines held my attention as the needles have been dropping from the winds decorating the bare branches.


For fun I tried a double exposure in camera. I pointed the camera at the bright part of the forest and took a shot of my hand, then pointed at the dogs for a second exposure. The effect is rather interesting.


I swapped the camera over to B&W and serendipity gave me this view of Hannah. I liked it.


I turned and spotted this highlighted maple branch that looked like it had spikes. It is just pine needles.



We lollygagged along in no hurry, so Hannah ran off in front to be called back to me. Charlie was smart and just walked alongside me unless a smell was too overpowering.

We did greet two horse back riders. But otherwise we saw no other human. In the distant ponds in the valley we could hear Canada Geese and other waterfowl calls. 

Over the years, I usually stop at this stump on the Little Canada Trail. I ask the dogs to sit on the stump for a portrait. I think these two portraits tell a tale at the different characteristics of these two dogs.

Hannah -- a goofy face.


Charlie, so stoic.


The Dragon Tree. Or.
Whatever you might see in it!


This tree has seen so much I can tell by its expression:




It took us a long time to get this trail done, but it didn't feel like it. I'm still learning to try to NOT hurry through each of my hikes but to slow down and take it all in.


Fall:

The smells of fall, 
the dropping leaves, 
the whispers of the wind in the pine trees,
The air carried a kind of quiet promise,
the kind you only hear when the season shifts.
Every trail felt like a story half‑told,
begging to be explored.

Fall didn’t just arrive — it beckoned.
it appealed to our sense of wildness,
of adventure,
and of awe.





18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend a day. I love the portraits on the stump. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love to have them stop and try for a portrait on the stump. Hannah is almost too big to sit on the stump now!

      Delete
  2. You're wise to get out and enjoy the beautiful fall days while you can! Winter will be here soon enough. Love your double exposure photo, the portraits of the dogs, and YES, I see the dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed looking for odd shapes this time out and the trees provided that!

      Delete
  3. You had quite the fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than sitting at home for sure

      Delete
  4. I am not sure I have ever had a “gnarly” cold and I don’t think I want one! Nothing holds you back, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gnarly in my vernacular means messy and rough.

      Delete
  5. I love Hannah's smiley face and Charlie's thinking face! You made a good choice to be outside rather than clean the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Charlie is always a thinker.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Your photos always leave me in awe. Glad you decided to take it slow on the trails instead of running. After 10 days with a cold I am totally tired of it. You are one tough cookie!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I walked slow, I needed my head to feel clearer and this seemed to be a good option. Thankfully by day 5, I am starting to feel much better. Still stuffy, but not as bad as it was. I hope you feel better soon.

      Delete
  7. An hour for the first mile is the right speed for photos like these. The wild grape vine really does look like some creature, and I’d like to see how it looks in winter compared to last year’s shot. Hope the cold clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold is waning and last night after another adventure, the dogs and I went to bed early and got a very long rest.

      Delete
  8. This is how I prefer to hike/bike/kayak/snow mobile/trail ride. Did I leave anything out? Oh yah, Snow shoe LOL. Anyways, love all your B/W's!! The double exposure is very cool! I won't get into what that would take to do back in darkroom/film days.

    I instantly saw a moose head.

    Great Fall poem! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That double exposure photo is awesome! It needs to be hanging on a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you experiment with photos. Thoroughly enjoy all yours. Good for you on going out when you were not feeling your best, but from what I see of these, getting out with those cute companion in nature is great medicine. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your two cohorts seem to be having a wonderful time! Some awesome photos here. Glad you didn't let your cold get the better of you!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.